Need help with this EGA

davekj

Hi All ,

I would like your opinions on this EGA . Is it original . The anchor 1 13/16" long and the ega is 1 1/2" tall .

Thank You for your Help !!

Dave

post-1733-1330886206.jpg

usmcaviator
Hi All ,

I would like your opinions on this EGA . Is it original . The anchor 1 13/16" long and the ega is 1 1/2" tall .

Dave

post-1733-1330886206.jpg

Looks like the one that was on the WW2 field grade officer's cap that just sold on E-bay for over $800.

This EGA is a distinct 1920's design. Very bulky and pronounced in appearance. It was made or sold up until about the start of WW2. Due to the depression I assume, this version tends to be made of a number of cheap alloy materials that are thinly plated, frosted, or painted (I have yet to see the dress version of this EGA in sterling or 10k, but dont doubt the existence). Your example is about as nice as you can hope to find, especially with the remaining gold. I date yours to the early 1930's. The cap it came on is distinctly early to mid WW2 vintage, so the EGA was probably a commissioning piece that was put on the field grade cap when the officer made Major during WW2, about 12-13 years later. In my collecting experience, the dress version is scarce, probably due to the fact that these wore out quickly due to the cheaper forms of material and manufacture.

S/F,

Mike

teufelhunde.ret

An example of the "Beast", earlier dress version with distinctive continents design, from long ago ebay auction. Dave, yours is a fine example from later era.

post_84_1181110311.jpg

post_84_1181110284.jpg

post_84_1181110259.jpg

post_84_1181110230.jpg

Hi All ,

Dave

post-1733-1330886206.jpg

What a beauty.One of my favorites :thumbsup:

teufelhunde.ret

1) same shape of gulf 2) same incised area above N American 3) same west coast outline = "The Beast"

beast.jpg

1) same shape of gulf 2) same incised area above N American 3) same west coast outline = "The Beast"

One has long legs.One has short legs. Eagles are different.

teufelhunde.ret
One has long legs.One has short legs. Eagles are different.

Different camera angles will change appearance / size - aside from that, no hallmark. Everything from H&H carried hallmarks

post_84_1181110407.jpg

concur, not the same EGA as posted above.

Thank You all for your help and time !!! You all really have a passion for EGA's .

Dave

• 3 weeks later...
probably due to the fact that these wore out quickly due to the cheaper forms of material and manufacture.

S/F,

Mike

Have to concur on this point...I've owned a couple dress, one with most of the finish worn out, and the other less quality, probably from being made from Depression era metals.