Iwo Jima and the story of 3 lives lost in taking the meat grinder

devildog34

Here is a flag that Edward captured on Saipan. He had this sent home. The nephew of Edward, the man I obtained this group from use to bring this to school for show and tell in the early 1960's. He always remembered this as uncle Eddie's flag. His father, Edward's brother who was wounded on Iwo Jima himself never spoke of his brother very often and remained very silent on the topic until his death.

post-2182-1330863403.jpg

This is a photo of the Japanese soldier whom he took the flag from. These photos of the soldier and his family were found on the body at Saipan.

post-2182-1330863555.jpg

Vernon Martin, Edward's younger brother was wounded in action while serving with L Co. 3rd Bn 9th Marines on Iwo Jima 4 days after his brother was killed. Vernon learned of his brother's death while at a Naval Hospital Guam.

post-2182-1330864086.jpg

A note to Vernon's parents received April 5, 1945. This notice came the day after Mr. and Mrs. Bert Martin received the tragic news that Edward had been killed in action.

post-2182-1330864350.jpg

Kurt Barickman

Wow, I think you outdid yourself this time Kevin :w00t: :thumbsup: Amazing groups with unbelievable documentation to boot. Fitting tributes to these brave Gyrenes. Thanks for all you work in making this a really great forum.

Kurt Barickman

Thank you for preserving and presenting the history of these Marines! My Dad's cousin, Homer Kreischer was killed in action while serving with Company G, 2nd Bn, 25th Marines on Saipan. I was fortunate enough to get a copy of their Company's history "This Here is 'G' Company" and see that you referenced the author (and G Company vet) John Lane.

Once again, well done!