Iwo Jima and the story of 3 lives lost in taking the meat grinder

devildog34

Another great post, Kevin. Each of these men's loss brings us poignant reminders of the cost of war, all wars. Imagining the overwhelming loss of potential, of all combatants lost, brings tears to my eyes. Semper Fi......Bob

Raidercollector

Kevin

Very well done on these fine marines in persevering their service on Iwo Jima that they fought for our country and gave their lives. I love how you did these 3 storys on these men. I,m sure the family's would be most grateful on what you wrote on their sons. Did you go to the SOS

Nick

Thank you all, this post was pretty special and truly from the heart. It is very sobering to look at these items for what they really are. Beyond condition, rarity and all the other stuff we often get caught up in, myself included, we really truly are the custodians of the last vestiges of some young mans life. When we think about it that way, it is an awesome responsibilty.

Semper Fi,

Kevin

Thank you all, this post was pretty special and truly from the heart. It is very sobering to look at these items for what they really are. Beyond condition, rarity and all the other stuff we often get caught up in, myself included, we really truly are the custodians of the last vestiges of some young mans life. When we think about it that way, it is an awesome responsibilty.

Semper Fi,

Kevin

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Agreed Kevin...just a fantastic and heart-felt post remembering these brave individuals.

Thanks again...

Vic

American Heritage

This was an incredible thread! The sacrifices these men made are incomprehensible. So good to preserve these memories in your collection and on this forum.

Heartbreaking, touching stories !!! When you put a face to a medal, it really brings it all home. A young man's life given for all of us and his country. True Hero's one and all !!!

God bless these men.

• 11 months later...

I am resurrecting this post in observance of the 68th Anniversary of this epic and horrific engagment and honoring the lives lost in securing this vital position as well as the men honored here. Your sacrifices are not in vain and you are forever remembered.

Semper Fi

• 11 months later...

Resurrecting this one in observance of the 69th anniversary of that fateful day and the 4 young lives honored here in this post as a microcosm to the overall sacrifice that took place on that tiny volcanic island in the Pacific. God bless those men whose world forever changed after gracing the black sands of the god forsaken island with their presence, blood, souls and innocence, for over 6,000 it would be the scene of their departure from this world. They are remembered on this sacred day.

Semper Fi

I am trying to get more information on a Jerome Cichocki. He was KIA on Iwo Jima in March 1945, and he was in the 4th Marine Div.<br />His brother is in his late 70's. They don't know what happen. If ANYBODY knew him or found out something and Jerome, PLEASE e-mail me ([email protected])or post on this website. THANK YOU George Allen<br />