20th Bomber Command Target Sections

hirsca

I picked up a stack of maps at an estate sale yeasterday. WW2 Vet. I liked these the most. The Showa Steel Works were located in Japanese held Ashan, China. They were bombed by China based units of the 40th Bomber Group of the 20th USAAF during July/Sept., 1944. I found two sets of the oblique target charts. Both have views from 25.000 feet at 25, then 15 miles from the target. One set has an approach heading of 90 degrees magnetic and the other heading 49.degres 45 minutes magnetic. The charts on either side of the maps show time from target in seconds, based on ground speed miles per hour. Another map shows a broader area around Ashan and the last map is of Nagasaki. Thanks, Al Hirschler in Dallas.

post-12790-1330811415.jpg

I picked up a stack of maps at an estate sale yeasterday. WW2 Vet. I liked these the most. The Showa Steel Works were located in Japanese held Ashan, China. They were bombed by China based units of the 40th Bomber Group of the 20th USAAF during July/Sept., 1944. I found two sets of the oblique target charts. Both have views from 25.000 feet at 25, then 15 miles from the target. One set has an approach heading of 90 degrees magnetic and the other heading 49.degres 45 minutes magnetic. The charts on either side of the maps show time from target in seconds, based on ground speed miles per hour. Another map shows a broader area around Ashan and the last map is of Nagasaki. Thanks, Al Hirschler in Dallas.

post-12790-1330811479.jpg

Those are very cool! I have a soft spot for the 40th BG...my great uncle took command of the group in January 1945 and took them through the remainder of the War and back to the US. For some reason, 40th BG items are tough to find (not sure why!)

Thanks for posting these!

Dave