Show your VN Air Force uniforms!

Jeeperz83

USAF 553rd Recon with Thai made patches. This one appeared either on Manion's or eBay years ago and I picked it up for about $18. You couldn't even buy the patch for that these days. But back then a lot of people were only patch collectors and would not bother with uniforms. This is one of the nicest ones I ever had.

USAF_bb_553rd_Recon_small.JPG

I almost passed this one up when I found in a Salvation Army in Hawaii. In fact I left it on the rack for several weeks in a row before I finally brought it home. I think I paid all of $7 for it.

Back then, I was still in the oooohhh and ahhhh stage of collecting, and was only looking for uniforms stacked with patches. It sunk in later that the troops and airmen in the field did not always wear fully badged uniforms when they were on the job.

The Air Commando tab is hand stitched, and I believe the rank insignia are hand made as well. Unfortunately this one had it's name tape stripped off.

USAF_bb_Air_Commando_small.JPG

USAF 553rd Recon with Thai made patches. This one appeared either on Manion's or eBay years ago and I picked it up for about $18. You couldn't even buy the patch for that these days. But back then a lot of people were only patch collectors and would not bother with uniforms. This is one of the nicest ones I ever had.

Wow! Now that's a cool shirt :thumbsup: Thai made stuff always nice to see.

Even today I find very few people who have any interest in Vietnam AF items. I probably have 20 AF shirts I've picked up over the years for $30 or less.

Local made shirt for a TAC pilot. I believe this was another auction purchase. The name tapes are faded to more of a slight purple color. The rank and wing are direct embroidered.

One thing when you buy an officer's shirt... flip the collars over and see if had a previous rank. I have seen them where they had US made major's rank (which is not all that exciting) but when you flipped them over you found local made direct embroidered Captain's rank like this one.

USAF_bb_TAC_pilot_small.JPG

Wow! Now that's a cool shirt :thumbsup: Thai made stuff always nice to see.

Even today I find very few people who have any interest in Vietnam AF items. I probably have 20 AF shirts I've picked up over the years for $30 or less.

You're right and I never quite understood that. People would go nuts bidding over badged US Army jungle fatigues, but you would see USAF and USN jungle fatigues just sit there.

Even just the ones that only have sleeve rank, some of those Thai made rank chevrons are works of art!

But I think there is more of an interest now.

A couple more owned by a friend of mine who maintains a private museum in Dallas.

A USAF advisor to the VNAF with an Army style Nomex flight shirt. Note the Vienamese wing and equivilant rank blossom.

This is the only one of these I have ever seen.

A local made 19th Air Commando shirt with the classic "pen pocket" .

USAF_ADVISOR_VNAF_B_SMALL.JPG

USAF_bb_11th_Air_Commando_b.JPG

Security Police K-9 handler. I never did identify this to a specific unit, but the patch was gorgeous.

USAF_VN_SP_1.JPG

USAF_VN_SP_1_a.JPG

USAF_VN_SP_1_b.JPG

A couple more Security Police Uniforms. RTG stands for "Royal Thai Guard", which were the counterparts to the Security Police. Airbases in Thailand were often guarded by a combination of both units.

The rank on the ERDL camo is done in the same material... that is not something you see very often.

USAF_VN_SP_2.JPG

USAF_VN_SP_2_b.JPG

USAF_VN_SP_3.JPG

A couple more Security Police Uniforms. RTG stands for "Royal Thai Guard", which were the counterparts to the Security Police. Airbases in Thailand were often guarded by a combination of both units.

The rank on the ERDL camo is done in the same material... that is not something you see very often.

Awesome!

I have a similar RTG badged shirt I picked up at the SOS, the ERDL rank is very cool.

My RTG badged shirt. Spotted this under a pile of OD green shirts at SOS and had to have it! Was able to get a full a name and ID it to a security policeman.

post-6732-1331418515.jpg

That "thing" across the RTG/SPS patch is supposed to be a roll of concertina wire. Perhaps you knew that, but it baffled me for a long time. I thought it was some kind of chain.

Nice ERDL shirt... I've always like the bilingual name tapes. You also see them for Korea, Japan, and Republic of China. Of course with the current conflicts you also see them in Arabic and Pashtun.

That "thing" across the RTG/SPS patch is supposed to be a roll of concertina wire. Perhaps you knew that, but it baffled me for a long time. I thought it was some kind of chain.

Nice ERDL shirt... I've always like the bilingual name tapes. You also see them for Korea, Japan, and Republic of China. Of course with the current conflicts you also see them in Arabic and Pashtun.

Good to know, I haven't been able to find alot of info about the RTG insignia. Nice to see another example. You've owned some killer pieces :thumbsup:

Good to know, I haven't been able to find alot of info about the RTG insignia. Nice to see another example. You've owned some killer pieces :thumbsup:

Thanks!

If you have not seen the Vietnam Security Police Association website, you'll like it. You will find examples of teh RTG/SPS patches there.

http://www.vspa.com/7th-af-crests-p1.htm

Here's mine! I think the shirt is VN era but there is no date in it so I can't say for sure. I'm pretty sure the dress uniform is VN era too lol

post-13779-1331443087.jpg

post-13779-1331443095.jpg

This is a part of a group I posted in the recent finds section...an OD shirt but with Vietnamese made insignia....you can't tell it from the photos, but the tapes and oakleaves have the characteristic "yarn" looking embroidery...

Mark sends

post-3423-1331519593.jpg

post-3423-1331519603.jpg

Here's mine! I think the shirt is VN era but there is no date in it so I can't say for sure. I'm pretty sure the dress uniform is VN era too lol

Yes, the service dress IS Vietnam era.

On the fatigue shirt, the buttons of that type were discontinued in 1964....look inside the pocket on the service dress and you'll see the contract date....

Mark sends

Thought I'd add a few pics from a rather large grouping I acquired. I'll just post the in country pieces.

Flight suits with locally made insignia.

9294.jpg

Fatigue shirt & party shirt in background.

9289.jpg

Better photo of party shirt.

9284.jpg

Baseball style cap.

9282.jpg

9283.jpg

I have lots more in this grouping. Father & son pilots. Enjoy...

Here's mine (this camera doesn't do things justice). Theater-made E-9 stripes.

post-257-1331689657.jpg

Those stripes are very cool, nice shirt :thumbsup: