War Dated Newspapers

Got da Penny

Got da Penny

These were "pulled" from a pile of WW2 era newspapers that were "donated" to a public place where my daughter is doing

archival research and working on scanning the local papers. She had "duplicates" and sent me pics. asking if i wanted them :w00t:

They were going to throw them away afterwards.

post-633-1330657619.jpg

post-633-1330657626.jpg

Niner Alpha

Those are fasinating to me. Thanks for posting.

I have a few myself. One newspaper I picked up from a flea market. It was dated April 13, 1945. The headline was about Truman taking the oath office after Roosevelt's death. The paper originated from Philidelphia. The Evening Bulletin.

post-6574-1330703835.jpg

• 1 month later...

I love the old papers...I buy them any time i can find them in good shape....I got a box at a library book sale in Boloxi MS once for $1.00...I thought she wanted a buck EACH..nope, she says, a buck for the whole box...there were 42 complete newspapers in it..all WWI and WWII, except for 4 from the Kennedy assassination....

Mark sends

• 2 weeks later...

Back in the 1970's a neighbor worked for the Nebraska Historical Society microfilming newspapers. He said he misted the wrinkled newspapers with distilled water and ironed them before he microfilmed them. I don't know about preservation value of doing that, ask some place that stores old newspapers.

dave peifer

got da penny...........i really like the papers,the us and japan at war would be a great one for pearl harbor survivors to sign :thumbsup: ...........dave