M1917A1 Comfort pad

artu44

A member of my italian forum posted pics of an excellent kelly helmet with its comfort pad placed below the regulating string, i.e. in direct contact with the top rivet. Otherwise my unmessed USMC helmet, in the pic, has the pad over fingers covering the knot of regulating string. The question is: there are precise indications for the pad or can everyone put it where he likes?

post-67-1330621235.jpg

everforward

I had one some years ago that was pretty well in unissued condition, and it was tied the same way as the one in your picture.

Artu, thanks for sharing this (nice Pot!!) Mine is a minty, and came out of the box with the pad tied up above the suspension, which I just assumed was regulation until seeing this pic. The Helmet would be a lot more comfortable on the head with the pad on the outside, which was no doubt done at the soldier's discretion.

Of course a minty did leaved the factory in its official configuration so I can assume that some soldier found more comfortaby to have the regulating string knot not directly on his skul. BTW mine is an ordinary converted WWI shell painted with forest green over its regular paint many years ago. Maybe Bataan or Corregidor?

post-67-1330627165.jpg

post-67-1330627227.jpg

all three in my collection are tied to the aluminum frame inside next to the screw

they could probably attach it any way they feel comfortable, just like some guys put the headband in the M1 liner differently for a better fit

Yes, I also have a couple in pretty much original condition, and the dome pad is beneath the 'dog ears' and tied to the aluminum frame. All of the 1917A1 helmets I've seen are configured like this but it's always possible that someone felt it was more comfortable to move it, or possibly it was apart and someone didn't know how it went back together.

6Small-1.jpg