A Rare Tank Destroyer

• 4 weeks later...

I belive they also toyed around with a 105mm and 120mm gun on this AFV..

"How many life's can you justify your battle hymn's". Saxon, Power and the Glory....

"Due to the presence of fools wise people stand out - Japanese proverb"

“Labor disgraces no man; unfortunately, you occasionally find men who disgrace labor.”

—Ulysses S. Grant

DBA hoc1983 on ebay. Always nice stuff!

Nothing like a story with a fake Nun.

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

Not sure how the Polish got them back but there are a few of them over here. I saw two M36's at COB Speicher and many of our US units have asked to take them back and the US ARMY and GOVT have said NO!!! There is also a Hellcat and Sherman sitting at Taji will try to get pics of them to show you. Same deal not sure why we can't take them back but we are forbidden to take any thing back as war trophies etc from here.

David

Thats just a damn shame!!!! Gutless politics, bring are things home...

"How many life's can you justify your battle hymn's". Saxon, Power and the Glory....

"Due to the presence of fools wise people stand out - Japanese proverb"

“Labor disgraces no man; unfortunately, you occasionally find men who disgrace labor.”

—Ulysses S. Grant

DBA hoc1983 on ebay. Always nice stuff!

Nothing like a story with a fake Nun.

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

As requested the Taji tanks in Iraq at least the units painted them a shame they will sit here. Many have tried to take them home all have failed.

David

photos courtedy CPM

post-3565-1218200827.jpg

post-3565-1218200845.jpg

1SG David Brackett

DS, OIF x 3, OEF, Egypt, Kosovo, Korea, (Berlin) Germany

20+ US Army 13 of it with the 101st Airborne Division, 3 years with 24th / 3rd ID, 3 years in the Berlin Brigade, and 1 year in 8th Army Korea

A few more shots of them. Guys if you know of anyone important bug the ***** out of them they are located at COB Taji Iraq.

post-3565-1218205600.jpg

post-3565-1218205618.jpg

post-3565-1218205635.jpg

post-3565-1218205651.jpg

1SG David Brackett

20+ US Army 13 of it with the 101st Airborne Division, 3 years with 24th / 3rd ID, 3 years in the Berlin Brigade, and 1 year in 8th Army Korea

At a glance, they look unmessed with.

Dave,

Is that the original 105mm howitzer on the M4? And the Chaffee looks pretty much original with all the light guards and little details intact. Finally, are they both "runners"?

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

Collecting WWII Armor and Tank Destroyer Items

As far as I know they are original though probably not running. If they are in the condition of the others I have seen here its just cause of the lack of a simple engine part that has failed. Most of these tanks became trophies after they captured them from the Iranian Army at least thats what I heard though we may have supplied them to Iraq when we were frinedly with them who knows.

David

1SG David Brackett

Wow, what a shame those tanks are stuck over there in Taji. :( They would be so much more appreciated back here in the states, I mean, they look like they are in excellent shape. Hopefully some one with influence can get them back here.

- Jeff

9/11: The Pearl Harbor of Our Time

22-orange.jpgI Proudly Support Our Troops And The War On Terror. 22-orange.jpg

We are winning the War on Terror. Learn more at: www.MoveAmericaForward.org

Tell Obama that we need to keep jobs here in the U.S., NOT overseas!

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

• 10 years later...

Having tried to bring back a 3.7" mountain howitzer in 2009, what I was told was 1) it's fine as long as it was A) not 'culturally significant' and B) the local Iraqi commander had no issues with it being removed.

The second hurdle with regards to military vehicles would have been 'who pays for the decontamination /EPA vetting when it gets stateside.

As far as I know they are original though probably not running. If they are in the condition of the others I have seen here its just cause of the lack of a simple engine part that has failed. Most of these tanks became trophies after they captured them from the Iranian Army at least thats what I heard though we may have supplied them to Iraq when we were frinedly with them who knows.
David

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...