A Rare Tank Destroyer

Jim Baker

If you get that Hellcat and pass this way, please drop it off in Belgium.

I don't know how yet, but I'll find a way to tow it to my house. :lol:

Erwin

we are forbidden to take any thing back as war trophies etc from here.

tell them its not a war trophie its a ride and your taking it home thumbsup.gif

• 4 weeks later...
Not sure how the Polish got them back but there are a few of them over here. I saw two M36's at COB Speicher and many of our US units have asked to take them back and the US ARMY and GOVT have said NO!!! There is also a Hellcat and Sherman sitting at Taji will try to get pics of them to show you. Same deal not sure why we can't take them back but we are forbidden to take any thing back as war trophies etc from here.

David

Thats just a damn shame!!!! Gutless politics, bring are things home...

As requested the Taji tanks in Iraq at least the units painted them a shame they will sit here. Many have tried to take them home all have failed.

David

photos courtedy CPM

post-3565-1218200827.jpg

post-3565-1218200845.jpg

A few more shots of them. Guys if you know of anyone important bug the ***** out of them they are located at COB Taji Iraq.

post-3565-1218205600.jpg

post-3565-1218205618.jpg

post-3565-1218205635.jpg

post-3565-1218205651.jpg

At a glance, they look unmessed with.

Dave,

Is that the original 105mm howitzer on the M4? And the Chaffee looks pretty much original with all the light guards and little details intact. Finally, are they both "runners"?

As far as I know they are original though probably not running. If they are in the condition of the others I have seen here its just cause of the lack of a simple engine part that has failed. Most of these tanks became trophies after they captured them from the Iranian Army at least thats what I heard though we may have supplied them to Iraq when we were frinedly with them who knows.

David

Wow, what a shame those tanks are stuck over there in Taji. :( They would be so much more appreciated back here in the states, I mean, they look like they are in excellent shape. Hopefully some one with influence can get them back here.

- Jeff

• 10 years later...

Having tried to bring back a 3.7" mountain howitzer in 2009, what I was told was 1) it's fine as long as it was A) not 'culturally significant' and B) the local Iraqi commander had no issues with it being removed.

The second hurdle with regards to military vehicles would have been 'who pays for the decontamination /EPA vetting when it gets stateside.

As far as I know they are original though probably not running. If they are in the condition of the others I have seen here its just cause of the lack of a simple engine part that has failed. Most of these tanks became trophies after they captured them from the Iranian Army at least thats what I heard though we may have supplied them to Iraq when we were frinedly with them who knows.
David

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
respectingthesacrifice

Very interesting thread, amazing to see how long these tanks have served! Good to know at least one of them found a new home in Poland.