A Rare Tank Destroyer

Jim Baker

This is a rare, or at least scarce TD in that only 187 were converted. This is the M36B1. It was converted by mounting the turret of the M36 "Jackson" to the M4A3 chassis in order to complete an order. Apparently there was a shortage of the TD chassis, but since they were mechanically identical, this was a quick fix.

I'll post a few "production" photos. I have two combat photos I will post at the end. I would think these are fairly rare. I got them from the internet. If anyone has other combat photos of this vehicle, I would be very interested in seeing them. Thanks.

post-78-1198778051.jpg

post-78-1198778065.jpg

The combat photos. In the first shot, these guys have thrown a track. I believe this vehicle is still operational since it's weapons remain on board and the crew is hanging around.

post-78-1198778236.jpg

This is it for now. I may have a few more, but my photos are pretty disorganized since I use them as a slide show screen saver.

It's easy to miss these if the photo is taken from ground level. People tend to scan right by them. Anyway, if anyone has others they would care to share, I would appreciate it.

Jim,

I only have this one to add.

It appears to come from some Field Manual.

M36B1TD3.jpg

Btw, you had the M36B2 too, this one had overhead armor.

Erwin

Btw, did you know they tried to fit the M-18 with a 90 mm gun too?

Didn't find a picture of it though.

Erwin

Yep. I have a photo of one but no scanner. They have done some crazy stuff with these TD chassis and turrets. I saw a photo somewhere of a T-55 with an M36 turret. Waste not, want not...... :blink:

• 2 months later...

This is interesting. Modern day Iraq? I hope the Army was smart enough to bring this rare vehicle home.

post-78-1204508947.jpg

Charlie Flick

Hey Jim:

How about this one? It was serving with the 3rd Armored Division. Photo was taken in the Rhineland.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

Tank_Destroyer_3rd_Armd_Div_Rhineland_ed.jpg

Btw, did you know they tried to fit the M-18 with a 90 mm gun too?

Didn't find a picture of it though.

Erwin

Here ya go Erwin,

M18_90mm.jpg

Kind Regards,

FRISCAN

Thanks, Friscan. thumbsup.gif

It looks awesome.

Erwin

Hey Erwin,

No problem. thumbsup.gif

I found it fascinating but back in the 1980's while the fighting was still going on in Bosnia the Serbs were still using the M-18's and M-36's as front line fighting armored vehicles! thumbsup.gif:blink:

Kind Regards,

FRISCAN

Hey Erwin,

No problem. thumbsup.gif

I found it fascinating but back in the 1980's while the fighting was still going on in Bosnia the Serbs were still using the M-18's and M-36's as front line fighting armored vehicles! thumbsup.gif:blink:

Kind Regards,

FRISCAN

Friscan,

That M-18 is a pretty nice vehicle for it's age. If you go to u-Tube and look at, (I believe it's called "Overhaul"), they rebuild one. Some excellent features in that TD. I'm at work right now and can't check it.

Hello Jim,

This is interesting. Modern day Iraq?

Yes, modern day Iraq. This is one of ex-Iranian vehicle captured by the Iraqis in Iran-Iraq war of 1980-1988.

I hope the Army was smart enough to bring this rare vehicle home.

I hope not only your Army ;)

The Polish 10th Armored Cavalry Brigade arrived to Poland from Iraq also with its vehicle of this type. Below night disembarking in Poland can be seen.

post-75-1204627151.jpg

If not mistaken, I believe the Taiwanese Army had M-18s as well.

I think one was transported to the US and restored with markings of the 704th TD Bn.

Erwin

Hello Jim,

Yes, modern day Iraq. This is one of ex-Iranian vehicle captured by the Iraqis in Iran-Iraq war of 1980-1988.

I hope not only your Army ;)

The Polish 10th Armored Cavalry Brigade arrived to Poland from Iraq also with its vehicle of this type. Below night disembarking in Poland can be seen.

Gregory,

Look at the camo. I think it's the same vehicle!! I sure hope they fix it up. These really are pretty rare. Thanks for posting this!!

Gregory,

Look at the camo. I think it's the same vehicle!! I sure hope they fix it up. These really are pretty rare. Thanks for posting this!!

Hi Jim,

I thought the same when I saw your pic! Either the Iraqis coated ideally repeatable camouflage scheme for these AFVs or... this is the same vehicle.

Somehow or other you may sleep well :D AFV is in very good Allied hands now. It stands at Świętoszów, Poland, in the base of 10th Armored Cavalry Brigade. The Polish military mechanics restored it very nice.

Best regards

Greg

Hi Jim,

I thought the same when I saw your pic! Either the Iraqis coated ideally repeatable camouflage scheme for these AFVs or... this is the same vehicle.

Somehow or other you may sleep well :D AFV is in very good Allied hands now. It stands at Świętoszów, Poland, in the base of 10th Armored Cavalry Brigade. The Polish military mechanics restored it very nice.

Best regards

Greg

That's great to hear. Is it possible to get photos of the restored vehicle??

That's great to hear. Is it possible to get photos of the restored vehicle??

Ooooooooops,... the Poles at the USMF will kill me in a moment - I mistook both our armored unit and a place where M36 is... :lol: Pardon :rolleyes:

So the facts are as follows: This M36 belongs now to the 11th Armored Cavalry Division. The unit took this AFV from its Iraq tour. M36 is in divisional base now at Żagań, Poland. For you Żagań will be better known from the "Great Escape" movie on the Allied airmen POWs. Their camp in that movie is just at Żagań.

Two pics below - M36 at the tank transporter platform riding from the Polish Navy Port to home of the 11th Armored Cavalry Division and restored M36 at Żagań Polish Army base.

post-75-1204667312.jpg

post-75-1204667329.jpg

What a weird muzzle break (on the pictures with the Iraqi camo job). think.gif

Sebas

It's not the original barrel. The original did not have a fume extractor. In the first photo the muzzle break is slid backwards a bit.

• 4 months later...
It's not the original barrel. The original did not have a fume extractor. In the first photo the muzzle break is slid backwards a bit.

Not sure how the Polish got them back but there are a few of them over here. I saw two M36's at COB Speicher and many of our US units have asked to take them back and the US ARMY and GOVT have said NO!!! There is also a Hellcat and Sherman sitting at Taji will try to get pics of them to show you. Same deal not sure why we can't take them back but we are forbidden to take any thing back as war trophies etc from here.

David