17th Airborne SSI: Part 1

17thairborne

The photos went away quite some time ago. Perhaps a moderator can move your photo to the type 1 post.

Allan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Shame the pictures are missing

Any idea what type my patch is??

Any input is appreciated

Lee

Based on the research by 17thairborne the closest your patch comes to is what he referred to as a Type 6 (fully embroidered, standard claw, vertical stitch & outline stitching).

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

This is an interesting one to add. I recently picked up a 325th GIR/17th Airborne Ike/shirt set at an Indiana auction. It is named to a local Indiana guy, and both the jacket and shirt have this patch combo on them. The veteran served in E Company 325th during all of their campaigns in WWII, coming home with the 17th in Sep 1945. I believe it is a standard airborne tab, but a theater-made talon patch. This is the first time I've encountered one of these on a uniform...

post-110-0-23235800-1518170455_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

If you go back to post # 34, you will see a similar OD border airborne tab with a patch that is made in the same manner and with the same color border. Since the "bevo" style tabs are so fragile, I have assumed that the SSI's were simply mated to whatever was available for issue. As I mentioned much earlier, most of these SSI that were sewn to uniforms were to late war/ post war assignments to the 17th A/B.

Allan

• 1 year later...

I was sent this from a officer 680 th GFA veteran, he had 2 made. The other was in the 1th ABN div assn  war room but is now in the museum at Benning. He had them made because he got fed up seeing replacement 

of 101st guys swaggering around with bullion patches that had seen no combat time.

F333C17B-BB0E-478F-8D38-0C961050235B.jpeg

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...