17th Airborne SSI: Part 1

17thairborne

I ran across this today and couldn’t pass it up. Patches are something I don’t pretend to know much about. I’m trying to add the shoulder patches of the different groups that my FIL would have carried during WW2 as a glider pilot. Besides the 17th, the 101st, and 82nd will be others for me to add. I’ll probably try locating some to represent the airborne artillery as well. I’ve got some more reading to do.

abd6c58b.jpg4d0d9f37.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

Great and very interesting topic here!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

But have you ever considered the woven type 14 as being Italian made? I have several of these Italian theater woven patches (also from other units) and they all look very similar to me.

Regards

H.

17thairborne
Hi there,

Great and very interesting topic here!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

But have you ever considered the woven type 14 as being Italian made? I have several of these Italian theater woven patches (also from other units) and they all look very similar to me.

Regards

H.

H.

First of all, thanks very much for your support. I have considered the "Italian connection", but find it less likely that the Italians manufactured bevo patches for the 17th. The 17th never spent any time in Italy. All of the post war time was served in Germany and France. I suppose it is possible, but not likely. The patch manufacturing details lead me to conclude with near complete certainty that they were manufactured in Germany.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi !

I'm doing exacly the same work than you 17thairborne !

I'd be glad to post what I've done when I'll be over with this long and taugh work.

17thairborne
Hi !

I'm doing exacly the same work than you 17thairborne !

I'd be glad to post what I've done when I'll be over with this long and taugh work.

sounds great...this would be a great place to post the work.

• 3 months later...

I had a conversation with another collector at the ASMIC convention where we were discussing this particular thread and the method for typing these SSI's. I believe that this method is as good as any, but would like to add a few pieces for clarification. Most significantly, aomw od these patches come with very distinct matching tabs. I thought it might not be a bad idea to add some examples here.

The first example that I would like to add is that of the black bordered "type 11." You'll note that the tab is made in such a way that the edges of the tab extend much farther down the border of the SSI. The tab can literally be stitched all of the way across the apex of the SSI to the base arc of the tab.

post-151-1348452371.jpg

Now to the "type 14" which is identified as German made due to the fact that it is of bevo style manufacture. This type of SSI has caused quite a stir among collectors over the years as it rather closely mimics the style of weave done by the Italians. In fact, I have always believed that this is more likely an Italian made patch than a German made patch and I believe this for two reasons. First, the thickness of the patch is VERY similar to the Italian made pieces and there are eally no loose threads like those found in German bevo embroidery. My second point is that the majority of these SSI's that I have encountered have come from veterans who transferred to the 17th to head back to the USA earlier than the other airborne divisions.

Now, I am sure I am going to hear the argument that the 17th didn't fight in Italy, so why would the SSI exist as an Italian made piece? My answer is that the 460th Parachute Field Artillery Battalion was assigned to the 17th Airborne, but was detached from the 17th to be sent to Italy. I have encountered photos of the 17th A/B SSI being worn by troopers in the 517th RCT in Italy and Southern France. I would say that it is entirely possible that the patches were made in Italy and then sent to the 17th A/B at the end of the war. They would not have been popular (since they didn't look like the "normal" 17th patches, so they were passed out to replacementns).

My example used here came with matching tab and came from a 506th PIR veteran who shipped home with the 17th shortly after the end of hostilities.

post-151-1348453243.jpg

post-151-1348453258.jpg

Finally, I'd like to add an English made tab that came with a "type 15" English made SSI. You can clearly see that based on the odd shape, that this tab wasn't meant for any other type of SSI.

post-151-1348453463.jpg

Finally, I'd like to add an English made tab that came with a "type 15" English made SSI. You can clearly see that based on the odd shape, that this tab wasn't meant for any other type of SSI.

Alan,

I am glad to see this method of cataloging 17th SSIs are getting some traction. I sincerely appreciate all of your comments as you certainly are adding to the bank of knowledge on the 17th SSIs. My lack of expertise lies in the tabs, particularly on the more rare versions. One rarely sees the Type 11 or 14 tabs. There are quite rare. As far as the IT vs GE manufacture, I cannot argue with the logic of your discussion. I place a lot of weight on photographic evidence as you have included. Excellent points all around.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am not a connoisseur of 17th AB, but I do have this grouping with different SSI on various uniforms and wanted to share some photos. They may be helpful...

post-3673-0-22310700-1361900604.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I would share a picture of one of my dad's original patches.

post-3347-0-05606200-1364148613.jpg

My father, Edward V. Strandberg served in the 17th from Aug 1944 until they shipped home, then he was transferred to the 82nd. This is one of two of his original 17th patches. Also, I cannot see any of the OPs origional pictures, is it because I am too new to the forums and don't have a full account?

LOOKS LIKE THE PATCHES POSTED BY THE TOPIC CREATOR ARE NOW GONE????APPEARS HE USED A HOSTING SERVICE.THIS IS WHY THINGS NEED TO BE UPLOADED TO THE SITE AND NOT TO A SERVICE

From a local vet who served in the FSSF,then 501st/101st,then the 17th when discharged.His 17th is the Bevo one and If I recall so is the one on his ike.He was with Service Company in the Force until they disbanded.The according to him he volunteered to go to the 101st and became a rigger.He served in Kora also with 8th Army

post-342-0-90907200-1364150507.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...