A strange and unknown bag

justine62

My guess would be some sort of "gift" bag from the Red Cross with ladies essentials that might be hard to get through the Red Ball Express supply system.

Returning from a shopping trip in Paris? Sorry...couldn't resist. :)

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

That actually is an interesting one that I have long wondered about. What would they have issued for that trip. The life jackets are piled up, they have gas masks on, it is curious. I had originally thought it was perhaps some sort of bag lunch, as they Army was know to do this on occasion when they weren't sure when they would be able to get the troops to a mess line (easier just to hand out bags), but the bag style is so unusual, and with string which is weird and not normal for those things, I kind of doubt it. And the size is so odd it looks like it was made to fit something specific.

I have never seen any mention of an unusuaissueue to female troops, but when you think of it there might be some... feminine products, but at the time they would certainly not be done as openly as this.

The simplest answer was some kind of red cross bag done for the "weaker sex," (emphasis from the time period), but I doubt we will ever know unless we find one of the women, a photo of the issue, or some obscure document like a unit report saying " at 0600 all fepersonnelsonel were issued with a bag, perfume, carrying, M1.

That actually is an interesting one that I have long wondered about. What would they have issued for that trip. The life jackets are piled up, they have gas masks on, it is curious. I had originally thought it was perhaps some sort of bag lunch, as they Army was know to do this on occasion when they weren't sure when they would be able to get the troops to a mess line (easier just to hand out bags), but the bag style is so unusual, and with string which is weird and not normal for those things, I kind of doubt it. And the size is so odd it looks like it was made to fit something specific.

I have never seen any mention of an unusuaissueue to female troops, but when you think of it there might be some... feminine products, but at the time they would certainly not be done as openly as this.

The simplest answer was some kind of red cross bag done for the "weaker sex," (emphasis from the time period), but I doubt we will ever know unless we find one of the women, a photo of the issue, or some obscure document like a unit report saying " at 0600 all fepersonnelsonel were issued with a bag, perfume, carrying, M1.

Thanks for response :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
fortworthgal
Returning from a shopping trip in Paris? Sorry...couldn't resist. :)

:lol: I was actually going to suggest it was a wine gift bag!

In all seriousness, probably some sort of Red Cross gift bag, as others have suggested.