Possible WAC WWII Canteen

USMC-RECON0321

USMC-RECON0321

I purchased this canteen from a pile of canteens at the SOS last week for $20 and thought it would be great if this turns out to be real, or as one guy said "it could be a girl scout" :crying:

As you can see in the pics the name Jennifer Nemeth is sewn to the left flap and the back of the canteen cover has "601" painted in white and "58" painted on the bottom of the canteen.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Troy

post-33000-1330453444.jpg

post-33000-1330453452.jpg

post-33000-1330453462.jpg

Having the name sewn on the outside is very non-military and even the WACs had to follow protocols. I think the stamps though are military: the font looks like something from the WWI era, perhaps a unit number and the soldier's number in the unit (as was used to mark some other gear). There are some examples of WWI unit-marked canteen covers at http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=71488

I went through ancestry.com and couldn't find that name in the WWII Enlistment Records and the names I found in other records were all born too late for WWII. I think the Girl Scout connection is on target - either that or a summer camp where these kinds of labels were required to be sewn in one's undies, every other item of clothing and anything else that could be confused for someone else's stuff.

USMC-RECON0321
Having the name sewn on the outside is very non-military and even the WACs had to follow protocols. I think the stamps though are military: the font looks like something from the WWI era, perhaps a unit number and the soldier's number in the unit (as was used to mark some other gear). There are some examples of WWI unit-marked canteen covers at http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=71488

I went through ancestry.com and couldn't find that name in the WWII Enlistment Records and the names I found in other records were all born too late for WWII. I think the Girl Scout connection is on target - either that or a summer camp where these kinds of labels were required to be sewn in one's undies, every other item of clothing and anything else that could be confused for someone else's stuff.

I can't make out a date on the inside right flap. All I can read is "Inc". The canteen and cup are both dated 1942.

What about a red cross worker?

Corpl. Cleaver
Having the name sewn on the outside is very non-military and even the WACs had to follow protocols.

I have a small grouping from a Vet, and eveything has small name tags exactly like that sewn on the outside.

I also have some uniforms with name tags like that sewn on them.

Think about seeing names and serial numbers marked all over WWII webgear... GASP how unmilitary, it must be fake.

I'll have to go sell all my webgear, it has names and serial numbers inked ALL OVER the outside. Stupid boy scouts.

100% correct in my book. Nice find

*** EDIT"""

I am not ruling out girl scout or such. But I have seen alot of tags just like this on items from good solid named groupings. Tags should not be rulled out without research being done.

USMC-RECON0321

Here is a possible connection I found?? This is an obituary and the following article of Charles Nemeth says WWII USN bomber who had a daughter named Jennifer. But the Nara records I found on him say USAAF and a POW??

Here is the obit:

Charles Nemeth, 89, of Easton died Saturday, February 19, 2011 in Easton Hospital. Born: January 2, 1922 in Alpha, he was a son of the late Daniel and Julia Ehasz Nemeth. Personal: He and his wife, the former Irma Agnes Bereczki were married 63 years. He was a maintenance supervisor at Ingersoll-Rand, Phillipsburg and retired in 1981 after 40 years. Prior to that he was a member of the Civilian Conservation Corps and he served in the Navy during World War II. He was also a bee keeper and an avid gardener and hunter. Memberships: Charles was a member of United Presbyterian Church, Alpha. Survivors: wife, Irma; daughter, Jennifer Nemeth Trumbauer and her husband, Alan of Easton; a brother, Frank Nemeth and a sister, Blanche Lampp. Four brothers, Donald, Alex, Julius and Arnold Nemeth died earlier. Services: Services will be held on Wednesday at 10:30 a.m. in the Ashton Funeral Home, 1337 Northampton St., Easton. Call from 9:30 a.m. until service time Wednesday in the funeral home. Interment with military honors will be in Easton Cemetery. Contributions: Center for Animal Health and Welfare, 1165 Island Park Rd., Easton, PA 18042.

Next I will post another story of Charles (maybe this was his canteen passed down to his daughter)

USMC-RECON0321

Here is a story relating to him done in 2004:

Lost hunter is out of the woods

82-year-old Easton man is rescued. Man in Hickory Run also found.

December 13, 2004|By Matt Assad Of The Morning Call

During World War II, Charles Nemeth was a tough-as-nails Navy bomber who fought off sharks trying to get to his bleeding buddies after they were shot down in the South Pacific.

On Saturday, the 82-year-old Easton man was in a life and death struggle of a different kind when he got lost while hunting in Berks County and spent more than 16 hours in the cold, while as many as 200 rescue workers searched for him.

They started with a police and fire search about 6 p.m. and volunteers joined in by 7.

After that, a state police helicopter unsuccessfully covered the area using an infrared scanner. By late evening search crews from across the region began scouring the woods with dogs, and Nemeth was found about 12:30 a.m. by volunteers from the Red Rose K-9 Search and Rescue Team, about a mile from where he was to meet his son-in-law.

"I really want to thank everyone who worked so hard to find him," Jennifer Trumbauer said. "They came from everywhere and they did a great job. We owe them so much."

Nemeth regrets not getting a deer, but said he'll be right back out there on opening day next year, trying to break the drought. Of course, his wife of 56 years, Irma, might have something to say about that.

"He loves to hunt and he's got quite a will," she said. "This time he almost gave me a heart attack. I figure I have a year to talk him out of going out for the next deer season."

I agree, on the many WAC and Waves items I've seen over the years, they sometimes have these types of tags on the them. They were not all exactly alike either, most likely due to the many private manufactures that were producing them. If I had seen it I would of thought it was a WAC item as well.

The big issue with trying to locate the ID's of women items from this era is f trying to locate their maiden names over their married names. I finally ID a Viet Nam era Navy Woman's jacket I own, she got married while in the service although the jacket has one name, her service record was listed under the her married name.

Good luck!

Leonardo

USMC-RECON0321
I agree, on the many WAC and Waves items I've seen over the years, they sometimes have these types of tags on the them. They were not all exactly alike either, most likely due to the many private manufactures that were producing them. If I had seen it I would of thought it was a WAC item as well.

The big issue with trying to locate the ID's of women items from this era is f trying to locate their maiden names over their married names. I finally ID a Viet Nam era Navy Woman's jacket I own, she got married while in the service although the jacket has one name, her service record was listed under the her married name.

Good luck!

Leonardo

Makes sense!! Thanks for the tip!!

I have seen WAVE and USMCWR stuff with these sort of tags regularly. However not so much on WAC gear. The WAC items in my collection are generally tagged somewhere discreet in ink. I'm not sure if you will be able to answer this question. Does the name turn up in the NARA registry?

-Sarah

I have seen WAVE and USMCWR stuff with these sort of tags regularly.

I have seen such labels sewn inside uniforms, but on the outside of a canteen it looks very non-military. I'm still going got Girl Scouts/summer camp on this one.

USMC-RECON0321
the only way we are going to settle this is to get the complete Girl Scout Battle Roster! :P

Funny.... Do you have a copy?? :w00t:

the only way we are going to settle this is to get the complete Girl Scout Battle Roster! :P

How about 4-H Club - is that close enough? :)

jn4h.jpg

USMC-RECON0321
I have seen such labels sewn inside uniforms, but on the outside of a canteen it looks very non-military. I'm still going got Girl Scouts/summer camp on this one.

I was really hoping a WAC connection, but if this turns out to be Charles Nemeth's (Read connection above) canteen given to his daughter I think it will be an even better find. Well that is unless he bought it at a surplus store after the war to send her to Girl Scout camp??

The mystery continues.

USMC-RECON0321
It's from 1985 - from Elyria, Ohio

1985 I think would be to young for the daughter if I have the right connection, that would be more like a granddaughter of a WWII Vet.