JUST TOO REALISTIC 1/6 Diorama!

eaglerunner88

eaglerunner88

This work is in no way mine but that of master artist Vettius64 over at the Sixth Division Forum. I don't know who has seen this most recent work of his but I wanted to share it here. This is just an all too real and incredible capture of a pivotal moment in WWII history. The masterpiece speaks for itself...

post-69583-1330412788.jpg

post-69583-1330412831.jpg

It all stems from the re-sculpted heads whose facial expressions capture perfectly the strain, stress and effort of the moment. Add to that the freeze-frame animation, the overall composition of the piece and the beautifully weathered equipment etc.....simply outstanding!!

Yes, the heads make a real impact, but to me, the dirty and wet gear and equipment is what makes it work. I’ve seen a lot of stuff in this scale done and almost all of it looks like a training exercise. Everything is clean, new and never dirty. I’m very impressed with what they’ve done here. The men look tired, terrified and filthy. Exactly what they would have looked like on 6-6-44 at the bottom of those cliffs.

I’m slowly working on a diorama base about this size, it’s going to be a war correspondent sitting at a typewriter on two ammo crates in a field in 1944. God alone knows when I’ll be done because I’m still trying to round up some items for it.

I like the stare of the soldiers, fixed at the edge of the cliff.

It seems as they're wondering what's up there.

Also the determination on the face of the soldier on the ladder speaks volumes.

Amazing diorama.

Erwin

Having dabbled with 1:6 figures myself I can truly appreciate what this modeller has achieved. I recognize most of the component parts which are taken from various commercially available figure kits. However, using his advanced modelling techniques he has enhanced them all, individually, eg. the scratching/scoring on the butt-stock of the Thompson, plus added a myraid other "super-details". The folds in the clothing have been carefully "sculpted" so they hang convincingly (1:6 uniforms do not hang like that normally!) Then there are the scratch-built and/or heavily modified items, particularly the heads. These have either been scratch-built or re-sculpted with modelling putty over a basic molded head which would serve as a former. Ditto the hands. Either way, the end result is outstanding!!

I'd like to know how they got the water effects on everything. I mixed up acrylic paint and water on my trench scene, and it kinda looked like wet knees and legs. This is freaking amazing.

I don't have the patience for this detailed of modeling. Heck, I don't have the patience for any kind of modeling! However, I can truly appreciate the effort put into something this detailed. Four thumbs up for this one! :twothumbup: :twothumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

The realism is astounding. I have often wondered why I was not seeing this sort of work, given the materials available now.

I had seen some pictures of clubs who had considerably improved on the store bought pre-made items and built giant diorama areas, but I have never seen this realism in that scale until now.

That is Very inspiring, MASTER CLASS work, thanks for showing us.

Charles