'VARIATION' M18 KNUCK KNIFE - PERIOD ALTERED

INIMICUS

GUYS

I'M SORELY TEMPTED TO REMOVE ALL THE OLD GAFFER TAPE, LEATHER AND OTHER STUFF ON THIS KNIFE, THINKING THE LF&C SCABBARD UNDERNEATH IS IN GOOD SHAPE. (I CAN SEE THE MARK ON THE SCABB TOP)

ON THE OTHER HAND IT'S REALLY NEAT LOOKIN' ! GIVES EVERY APPEARANCE OF HAVING BEEN COMBAT WORN AND USED.

BUT WHAT WAR??

ANYHOW, MUST'VE TAKEN A GOOD WHILE TO COBBLE THIS THING TOGETHER.

SO ... DO I UNWRAP AND GET RID OF ALL THIS ELABORATE FIELDWORK & TRY TO PUT IT BACK TO STANDARD, OR TAKE IT APART AND RISK SEEING THE ORIGINAL METAL SCABBARD IN A BAD WAY? (MAYBE THAT'S WHY THE SERVICEMAN MADE IT LOOK LIKE THIS IN THE FIRST PLACE...? )

BY THE WAY HALF THE OVAL GUARD'S BEEN SLICED AWAY, MAKES A BETTER FIT IN THIS RIG - PLUS I'VE HEARD PARATROOPS IN WWII DID LIKEWISE.

ALL INSIGHTS AND EXPERIENCES WELCOMED. THANKS, DAVID

post-496-1330410372.jpg

GUYS

I'M SORELY TEMPTED TO REMOVE ALL THE OLD GAFFER TAPE, LEATHER AND OTHER STUFF ON THIS KNIFE, THINKING THE LF&C SCABBARD UNDERNEATH IS IN GOOD SHAPE. (I CAN SEE THE MARK ON THE SCABB TOP)

ON THE OTHER HAND IT'S REALLY NEAT LOOKIN' ! GIVES EVERY APPEARANCE OF HAVING BEEN COMBAT WORN AND USED.

BUT WHAT WAR??

ANYHOW, MUST'VE TAKEN A GOOD WHILE TO COBBLE THIS THING TOGETHER.

SO ... DO I UNWRAP AND GET RID OF ALL THIS ELABORATE FIELDWORK & TRY TO PUT IT BACK TO STANDARD, OR TAKE IT APART AND RISK SEEING THE ORIGINAL METAL SCABBARD IN A BAD WAY? (MAYBE THAT'S WHY THE SERVICEMAN MADE IT LOOK LIKE THIS IN THE FIRST PLACE...? )

BY THE WAY HALF THE OVAL GUARD'S BEEN SLICED AWAY, MAKES A BETTER FIT IN THIS RIG - PLUS I'VE HEARD PARATROOPS IN WWII DID LIKEWISE.

ALL INSIGHTS AND EXPERIENCES WELCOMED. THANKS, DAVID

post-496-1330410480.jpg

I will be the first to say LEAVE IT ALONE!

You would be able to find an original scabbard, but where could you ever find another one like this?

I agree, leave it as is - it is a unique example as adapted by the soldier that carried it. Looks to be WWII adapted, very nice.

thanks all ye kindly gentlemen.

I just wonder who'd have one in their collection modified like this. any ideas?

david

Fight the urge.

Bill

Still-A-Marine
thanks all ye kindly gentlemen.

I just wonder who'd have one in their collection modified like this. any ideas?

david

I have several re-handled knives. But the one I have that is similar is a USMC Ka-Bar.

Bill

post-4347-1330441358.jpg

I have a couple that similiar.They are WW2 era.The scabbards often had the two prongs broken off or removed.The metal scabbard is often covered over by leather,belt hanger added or slots cut to facilitate carring the knife.Much mor practical.One of my knives actually has the flanges removed so the handle will lie flatter against the scabbard/body.One knife is from a Marine the other a paratrooper.These were issued out in WW2 and can be seen in many configurations.Looks like the wire bail(s) are intact on your scabbard and part of the sheath that was made.

As the others stated I would leave it alone.That old tape is like WW2 friction/electrical tape.

Here is s post on the knives.One of mine I mentioned is in post #30.The metal sheath is inside the leather scabbard much like a liner.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...AuLion&st=0

I wouldn't mess with it. Looks like a nice package. It also appears you have both prongs on the LF&C scabbard. That's a big plus. Since you know what those scabbards look like why ruin a good, unique link to a WW2 vet. SKIP

Lucky 7th Armored

Honestly i feel that collectors would pay MORE for a rig like this...it's just something you dont see everyday! Beautiful piece!

Haydn

THANKS. YOUR SLAB-SCABB IS SENSATIONAL!

I have a couple that similiar.They are WW2 era.The scabbards often had the two prongs broken off or removed.The metal scabbard is often covered over by leather,belt hanger added or slots cut to facilitate carring the knife.Much mor practical.One of my knives actually has the flanges removed so the handle will lie flatter against the scabbard/body.One knife is from a Marine the other a paratrooper.These were issued out in WW2 and can be seen in many configurations.Looks like the wire bail(s) are intact on your scabbard and part of the sheath that was made.

As the others stated I would leave it alone.That old tape is like WW2 friction/electrical tape.

Here is s post on the knives.One of mine I mentioned is in post #30.The metal sheath is inside the leather scabbard much like a liner.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...AuLion&st=0

thanks for all the extra inputs - just when I was starting to unwrap it and haul out the wenol to polish up that dull hilt!

KIDDING!

david

Honestly i feel that collectors would pay MORE for a rig like this...it's just something you dont see everyday! Beautiful piece!

Haydn

shocktrooper15

Definitely keep as is. These knives in particular had so many custom made sheaths/scabbards by the men they were issued to. Great item! :thumbsup:

thanks again, men.

Definitely keep as is. These knives in particular had so many custom made sheaths/scabbards by the men they were issued to. Great item! :thumbsup: