My sole SOS find: Silver Star/ LOM group to Hugh Mahoney

Teamski

Ski, was the dealer set up by Reddix/Reddicks in the middle of Row B as you walked in the front door ??

Thanks,Carey

PS, That grouping is definitely a "Wow Factor".

I would be interested to know what he received the silver star for during the battle of Midway. I just finished reading a book about the battle of Midway and the B-17 bombing of enemy ships did not score on hit and also played no part in locating the enemy fleet.

Ski, was the dealer set up by Reddix/Reddicks in the middle of Row B as you walked in the front door ??

Thanks,Carey

Carey, That sounds about right.

Carey, That sounds about right.

Actually, he was located back around Row S nearer to the back wall. I was located at M7. I just happen to glance at the tables on the way to the loo when I saw the Silver Star in with the group of medals. I asked if he had paperwork and the rest was history.

-Ski

I would be interested to know what he received the silver star for during the battle of Midway. I just finished reading a book about the battle of Midway and the B-17 bombing of enemy ships did not score on hit and also played no part in locating the enemy fleet.

I asked the exact same question to a friend of mine (and owner of the Dover Army/Navy store). Reading the reports of the 42nd BS shows a range of typical ambiguous damage reports. "black smoke reported billowing from ships" sort of thing. History has that hindsight that was absent during the war. I'm sure that the inflated hits reported on ships were key to the medals being awarded. Another thing to remember is that there was that morale element. If you look at the GO for the Silver Star medal above, you will undoubtedly notice that the Silver Star was somewhat issued in mass without individual citations. This same sort of thing was done with my Legion of Merit group for Guadalcanal. There, they used a cut and past citation.

-Ski

Thanks,Carey

By the way, it great to meet you for once! :thumbsup:

-Ski

I asked the exact same question to a friend of mine (and owner of the Dover Army/Navy store). Reading the reports of the 42nd BS shows a range of typical ambiguous damage reports. "black smoke reported billowing from ships" sort of thing. History has that hindsight that was absent during the war. I'm sure that the inflated hits reported on ships were key to the medals being awarded. Another thing to remember is that there was that morale element. If you look at the GO for the Silver Star medal above, you will undoubtedly notice that the Silver Star was somewhat issued in mass without individual citations. This same sort of thing was done with my Legion of Merit group for Guadalcanal. There, they used a cut and past citation.

-Ski

You have a point there. Pilots have a tendency to overstate hits and damage.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Beautiful grouping to a gallant airman who participated in the battle that turned the tide in the Pacific...nice !!

Thanks for showing !!

Vic

Sorry for indulging, but here is the GO entry for the Mao Chi medal. Note the classes and the medal serial numbers included. From what I understand, the medals are the same between the classes, but the ribbons are different. The lower officers got Class B Grade I and enlisted got Class B Grade II. Very interesting.......

-Ski

post-3043-1330474671.jpeg

By the way, it great to meet you for once! :thumbsup:

-Ski

Right back atcha !! it was a BLAST being able to meet the members and see old friends.

Carey

Actually, he was located back around Row S nearer to the back wall. I was located at M7. I just happen to glance at the tables on the way to the loo when I saw the Silver Star in with the group of medals. I asked if he had paperwork and the rest was history.

-Ski

Ski, I saw this grouping about where GdP mentioned seeing it, would not be surprised if it changed hands a couple times during the show. Like I said before, I bought some books from him well undervalued.

Here is the report for the above mission. Interesting how the nose MG was jammed. I wonder if this was before or after Mahoney hit the Japanese aircraft..... ;) Aircraft 41-9151, "Hel-en Wings" was lost with another crew on February 1st, 1943.

-Ski

post-3043-1330911279.jpg

Here is a second article on attacks on Japanese Shipping. Mahoney's B-17 (through Wuertele) is mentioned towards the end of the article.

-Ski

post-3043-1330994967.jpg

Well, Hugh Mahoney is most definitely still with us! He is only 93 years young! I talked with him and his daughter over the phone tonight and had a nice talk. I hope I can find out more about him here in the near future.

-Ski

• 9 months later...