WWII C.O. 60th CA CORREGIDOR LOM Purple Heart group

KASTAUFFER

On my final day at the SOS , I stumbled across this towards the back of the room.

It is an officially named LOM and an unnamed Purple Heart to Col. Theodore Chase who commanded the 60th Coast Artillery on Corregidor and was captured, spending the rest of the war as a POW of the Japanese. He was liberated in 1945 and spent time in hospitals in the US before retiring in 1947. He was a 1909 graduate of the USMA . In WWI he served with the 59th CA earning 2 bars for his WWI Victory medal.

I really like the label that was on the bottom of the PH case!

The GO for the LOM is also an original document.

MVC_052L.JPG

MVC_053L.JPG

MVC_054L.JPG

That is an outstanding group. Engraving on the LOM is very nice. The Purple Heart label is great for "authenticating" it. Put-togerther artists don't have a good enough "touch" to come up with something like that. (But, I guess they do now.)

Kurt, what is your experience with the citations for awards like the LoM... POW or otherwise, but I guess more so in the case of POW's since that is the group at hand here... Are you going to actually be able to find details on what exactly he did to get the award, or do you usually find they are "boilerplate" citations in cases like his?

Nice find!

MW

Kurt Barickman

Kurt.

Like Emerson, Lake and PaLmer sang, "Oh what a lucky man he was!"

Fantastic grouping. :thumbsup: I don't know how you find these amazing early groups.

Kurt Barickman

Kurt, what is your experience with the citations for awards like the LoM... POW or otherwise, but I guess more so in the case of POW's since that is the group at hand here... Are you going to actually be able to find details on what exactly he did to get the award, or do you usually find they are "boilerplate" citations in cases like his?

Nice find!

MW

On this guy as with others, I hope to get lucky and pray his file isnt totally torched. Ive had good luck with officers whose names end with A, B, and C having complete files.

If its there, the "onion skin" full citation should be in it.

It might be in a dusty box in College Park too.

Kurt

Kurt.

Like Emerson, Lake and PaLmer sang, "Oh what a lucky man he was!"

Fantastic grouping. :thumbsup: I don't know how you find these amazing early groups.

Kurt Barickman

Hi Kurt

Some day I hope to meet you at a SOS because I wont be in MN any time soon! If you come out west, give me a shout!

Finding this group was pure luck. I found it Friday Morning in the back of the hall. The patch and LOM caught my eye as I was scrambling down the aisle,

I can tell you there was a lot of CRAP medal groups at the show this year to wade through. Put together groups , and groups with fake engraving were all over the place. If you dont know what you are doing its easy to get burned.

Kurt

On this guy as with others, I hope to get lucky and pray his file isnt totally torched. Ive had good luck with officers whose names end with A, B, and C having complete files.

If its there, the "onion skin" full citation should be in it.

It might be in a dusty box in College Park too.

Kurt

Good luck - please post an update if / when you find out more.

MW

Thanks for giving me a sneak preview of this group Kurt- Great to meet you and I must say I learned a heck of a lot walking a couple aisles and listening to you and Tom break down what you were seeing.

Kyle

Thanks for giving me a sneak preview of this group Kurt- Great to meet you and I must say I learned a heck of a lot walking a couple aisles and listening to you and Tom break down what you were seeing.

Kyle

Thanks Kyle, I had a great time talking to you too. You have an awesome collection and you do the Army proud.

I now also understand the meaning of your avatar too :lol:

Kurt

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Fantastic grouping Kurt and right up your alley !!

So...I've seen your mug way too many times so I couldn't bear to hit yet another SoS !! :lol::lol::lol: Naw...just couldn't make it cuz I didn't plan ahead enough...that and the project-from-hell I've been working on for over a year now...same reason I couldn't make it last year !!

Fingers crossed for next year !!

Again...nice grouping !!

Vic

That's a superb group! I just noticed though that the ribbon colors on his WW1 Victory ribbon are backwards. That's a bit odd, to say the least! (Not saying it's bad, fake, or anything, just making an observation... "truth is stranger than fiction!")

Dave

That's a superb group! I just noticed though that the ribbon colors on his WW1 Victory ribbon are backwards. That's a bit odd, to say the least! (Not saying it's bad, fake, or anything, just making an observation... "truth is stranger than fiction!")

Dave

I think it might be a " Military Order of the World War" ribbon,

Kurt

• 2 weeks later...