20rd vs 30rd M-1967 magazine pouches

frederik.geudens

frederik.geudens

I just noticed that there is a difference in the setup of the grenade straps between 20rd and 30rd M-1967 magazine pouches. At least this is the case with the ones I have myself and all the ones I've seen in pictures. It came to my attention while unsuccessfully trying to fix an M-69 grenade to a 30rd pouch as the retaining straps are too short to go around the body of the grenade and positioned too low to go around the fuze. The 20rd pouch has the strap higher up so that it does go round the fuze. Also, the 20rd pouch has a strap in one piece while the 30rd pouch has a two-piece strap.

Can anyone explain why there is a difference here and why it appears impossible to secure a grenade with the strap on the 30rd pouch?

M-1967 20rd magazine pouch: grenade retaining strap is located at the top of the sleeve that holds the grenade spoon.

1024.jpg

M-1967 30rd magazine pouch: grenade retaining strap is located centered on the sleeve that holds the grenade spoon.

1024.jpg

The reason for this is explained in our (Craig and I) book. The nylon 30-round small arms ammunition case is NOT part of the the M-1967 LLCE. It was developed as part of a separate program (long before the adoption of the M-67 hand grenade and it's dummy counterpart the M-69).

The nylon 20-round small arms ammunition case was just an "improved" version of the canvas 20-round small arms ammunition case (it was also NOT tested with the nylon equipments that lead to the M-1967 LLCE, being developed separately too).

Hope this helps.