Iraq War Helmet information

cerick1450

Hi all

I picked this helmet up today. It is out of my area of collecting, but thought it was neat. I was told it was an Iraq War used US helmet. What is it? It appears to be dated possible 86/87?? Do these have much value?

Thanks'

Charlie

iraq004.jpg

iraq003.jpg

iraq002.jpg

iraq001.jpg

316th FS 324th FG

Could have been used anytime from Deseet Storm to early OIF, though it looks little used.

I generally see them for btw 35 and 75 (they sit a long time at the high end of that range)

The camo cover will be dated and can help with your timeframe

Yea, check the helmet cover date. Even though most men got a DCU or chocolate chip cover (depending on which Iraq War it was used in) some had to wear the woodland cover because of shortages. The sun, wind and dust gogles were widely used during desert storm and early OIF. Then they got replaced with the current ESS Goggles. I got a similar k-pot for $40.00 on eBay recently.

It's right for the time frame, but even after a few weeks in the desert I would expect it to be a bit more faded and worn. Just taking it off and setting it on the ground a few times should have rubbed some dirt into it.

However, some collectors like their items to be pristine. So it is a good representative piece.

Looks like a 1987 helmet and cover and 1974 goggles.

These are called simply "Kevlars" by Marines (I had one you Marine try on an M-1 helmet and he also called it a "kevlar" since that his only term for a helmet).

Officially they are Personnel Armor System for Ground Troops or PASGT helmets. There's a wikipedia article about them at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personnel_Arm...r_Ground_Troops

As noted, these days they sell for somewhere in the range of $35-50. If anyone asks $75 they are either dreaming or an antique shop owner :)

It looks like a nice standard PASGT, but I would agree with the earlier comment regarding usage; the helmet, cover and sweatband look remarkably clean (practically unused) to me. But still a nice example. Just my 2 cents.

I think you'll find that pretty much all Sun/wind/dust goggles are '74 dated. This is not necessarily their date of manufacture...it's the date of the mold. I've got several pairs bought at different times from different places. Guess what? All '74 dated!!