One More Item to Try To Identify...RIA 1918

pzjgr

Here is one more item I am trying to identify...could not find it in my (scant) WWI gear references...

It is a long, narrow pouch, roughly 14" long with flap closed, 2" wide, single snap on flap, RIA 1918 dated...

Thanks much!

post-2803-1330285460.jpg

Agree, cleaning rod case. It was originally designed to be carried in the squad equipment bag. The 1910 equipment board wanted any non-essential gear to be carried in the squad bag which looked like a canvas footlocker. There are two or three leather thongs sewn on to the back of the bag for this case.

Tim

Some pics. Here is the holder inside my squad bag. I have three holders dated 1911, 1915 or 16 and 1918. The 1918 one has the extra gusset of canvas for the M1916 "T" handled rod.

Tim

post-192-1330296799.jpg

post-192-1330296809.jpg

US Military Guy

Would anyone here please provide me with more information on this "squad equipment bag"?

I think I have one and have always wondered what the thing was used for.

Thanks.

Some pics. Here is the holder inside my squad bag. I have three holders dated 1911, 1915 or 16 and 1918. The 1918 one has the extra gusset of canvas for the M1916 "T" handled rod.

Tim

now I know what those strings are used for. Thanks. Robert

The 1910 Squad Surplus Bag was intended to be carried on a company transport vehicle. Each bag was to contain one squad's extra clothing and shoes along with the Squad Cleaning Kit. The contents were spelled out very specifically, but I do not have the contemporary document right at hand.

US Military Guy
The 1910 Squad Surplus Bag was intended to be carried on a company transport vehicle. Each bag was to contain one squad's extra clothing and shoes along with the Squad Cleaning Kit. The contents were spelled out very specifically, but I do not have the contemporary document right at hand.

That is a whole bunch more than I knew before. Thank you.

I always assumed the side straps, being longer, were designed to hold the article to some type of vehicle. Were items just placed inside the bag - or was there some type of "box" inside the bag?

Anybody else got anything else?