New guy in need of help with M1 helmet find

shcpirate

I bought this helmet, along with other WWI and WWII web gear at an auction. I've posted up some basic pictures of the web gear as well.

I've done my best to educate myself. The helmet has the heat lot code 387A, a front seam and fixed bail. The chinstrap appears to be the correct WWII hook and arrow. That is what I know. The paint shows no signs of every being repainted. There is a giant "X-1" inside the steel pot.

I'm confused about the liner as it looks nothing like anything I've seen. I cannot find markings anywhere on it, but honestly would have no clue as to where to look. If anyone has any ideas on what this is and what it might be worth, I'd appreciate it. Thank you!

P1010124.jpg

P1010131.jpg

P1010141.jpg

P1010142.jpg

P1010143.jpg

14460907.jpg

14461338.jpg

asianairborne

The liner looks like a child's toy but the helmet is a nice one. The web gear is great aswel. Good job.

"3 Miles up, 3 Miles down"

donation2012.gif

I would say you've got a pretty nice pot! I can't speak for the liner, as I have never seen one. The web gear is a good score as well.

WANTED: ITEMS & PARTS RELATING TO THE 1911 & 1911A1!!!

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

donation2018.gif

I seem to remember that liner is for an experimental "tanker's" steel helmet. Post photos on the Helmet's section and I'll bet they can fill in the blanks. Welcome to the forum, best place on the Web.

Tom Bowers

I seem to remember that liner is for an experimental "tanker's" steel helmet. Post photos on the Helmet's section and I'll bet they can fill in the blanks. Welcome to the forum, best place on the Web.

Tom Bowers

Thanks Tom!

I ended up spending on the helmet as a gamble, so hopefully I didn't burn myself too badly. I'm new to US WWII helmets, but the quality of the work and the age of the leather both made me think this was an example of something perhaps unique and interesting. I'll take it over to the helmets section and see what they say.

Thanks to everybody for the feedback. Any idea on when this one was made and by who?

that's a real nice ww2 pot! As for the liner, it's way too sophisticated to be a childs toy! The liner chin strap looks like an older one and is sold by many dealers for fifty bucks alone.

Your liner actually is a variant of the experimental crash helmet from WWII. A similar photo can be seen on page 154 of Chris Armold's Steel Pots. Sweet liner by the way.

Here are the photos of the web gear. I plan on keeping some of it for my 1911 Ithaca rig, but not all of it. Any help with valuation and what is the best of the lot to keep would really be appreciated.

P1010265.jpg

P1010266.jpg

P1010269.jpg

P1010264.jpg

P1010262.jpg

P1010260.jpg

P1010261.jpg

P1010258.jpg

P1010259.jpg