7th ID Kiska

US0844

Unterhund I believe you nailed it, see DVD site on link, the year 1965 would jive with the time I seen it on T.V. this being sometime between 1971-1975, you know, it taking a a few years to be shown on T.V., here in the states, here I just cant remember which year, it was on our local PBS channel, which in the New York Tri State area is channel 13. I just may go ahead and get this, as I really think that this is the movie.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=TDV-15208D

• 4 months later...

Need help guys there is a post on here somewhere that had about 8 pictures of the white T5 Parachutes and had Kiska in the post but I have searched and searched and been unable to get back to where I was. It is not the one with the smoke jumpers with the white parachutes but actual pictures of just the T5 by itself. If someone finds it can you email me [email protected] I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Dave

My father was adamant that no one in his platoon fired their weapons on Kiska indiscriminately. His regiment, the 17th Infantry, was the only unit in Operation COTTAGE that had prior combat experience, on Attu three months before. Dad was shipped to the Aleutians in July of 1943, one of many replacements for the 7th Division to fill its ranks for the assault on Kiska. He was an OCS graduate whose first assignment as a lieutenant was with the newly-formed 104th Division at Camp Adair, in Oregon's Willamette Valley. Months of training frustrated him and he applied three different times for transfer to any infantry unit in action overseas. His wish was granted in June of 1943, and off he went to the Aleutians, shipping out of Seattle and through the Inside Passage to Alaska.

He stopped in Valdez and Dutch Harbor before joining his new unit, then training for COTTAGE on Adak Island. He was there for the amphibious rehearsal on Great Sitkin Island, a volcanic isle near Adak. He served alongside some French Canadian engineers in the Regiment De Hull, commanded by the hero of Dieppe, LTC Dollard Menard. In September of 1943, his division shipped to Hawaii for participation in Admiral Nimitz's Central Pacific drive.

Amongst his mementos I found a receipt for a soda pop bottle deposit given to him at Dutch Harbor, and also a small photo of some Japanese serviceman's family that he obtained from a dead body on Kiska. I am very fortunate that he managed to save so many souvenirs over the course of the war and his subsequent Cold War career as an infantry officer.

Here is the soda pop receipt.

For Pete's sake---don't let Ehretitle see this picture---he'll think its the first example of AFEES "Pogs" and have to have one....

• 2 weeks later...

My father collected and managed to keep a large number of trinkets and mementos from his 27-year career as an Army infantryman. When I am gone, these items will be shared among my five grandsons, although I intend to donate most of his orders, maps, etc. to the Infantry Museum at Fort Benning.

It will be difficult to determine who gets what, especially the swords he took from a Japanese major during "The Battle of the Ridgelines" on Leyte in December of 1944.

His first action in a combat zone was on Kiska, but due to the prior evacuation of the Japanese on that island, Dad did not come under enemy fire until five-plus months later, when he was on Ebeye Island on Kwajalein Atoll during Operation FLINTLOCK.

• 3 months later...

I revisit this thread only to correct an error. Additional research has revealed to me that the Japanese indeed desired to salvage the radar from the wreck of the HMS Prince of Wales, but were unsuccessful. I don't know how this rumor of the radar being salvaged and employed on Kiska started, but I apologize for perpetuating it.