Is this a JU52 with allied markings?

R Michael

Hello all I have this photo that was in a recent album I was fortunate to pick up. I am not convinced it is a JU52 but does not look like any tri motors by other makers that I was able to find on the net. To me the engine and cowlings are very simular to the 52 but the lack of the corrugated fuselage doesn't.

So do I have a captured JU52 or an allied tri motor?

Thanks! Mike

post-1387-1198639417.jpg

If you look closely, I think you'll see that's no trimotor. Its a twin engine figher; a Beaufighter if I'm not mistaken. I think the US bought some from the Brits and they were deployed in the Med? Could be wrong on that but I do think its a Beaufigher.

I believe it is a captured aircraft(in my opinion) in the photo.At the end of the War there was a team of Army AirForce people who were designated to find and fly enemy aircraft for evaluation.There has been a documentary done on a group of pilots who were the ones who flew the Me 262 jets.These pilots were tasked with flying these to bases to be examined and shipped back to the states after being recovered by the other team members.After the flights I understand that there was a ritual of taking the AAF wing and prop brass they wore on there dress uniforms and the prop was broken off to signify "prop less flight".

There were many recovery teams for different missions at the end of the war wether it be looking for looted art,chasing down the nazi rocket scientists,recovery of weapons or systems for testing etc.

All this being said I would have to guess your pic may have been taken of a plane to be used for transport at the end of the war by the US.Im sure there were plenty of C47 Dakotas around but sometimes nessecity is the mother of invention.I remember my ex-father in law flying shuttle missions after the war.He was a Mosquito pilot and would pack what ever he could into the aircraft.He flew everything from soap to bicyle tires.He never said if it was a legal or black market venture.He stated the people in europe were hungry for all commodities.

If you look closely, I think you'll see that's no trimotor. Its a twin engine figher; a Beaufighter if I'm not mistaken. I think the US bought some from the Brits and they were deployed in the Med? Could be wrong on that but I do think its a Beaufigher.

Good eye Meat Can!

On second look I would have to agree.May be a Beau Fighter or Beau Fort.You can see a faint bubble over the wing edge that may be the gunners bubble.Also appears to be a C47 in the back round.The ex father in law flew BeauFighters prior to being transitioned into Mossies.He stated the top 5 pilots in his class went on to the Mosquito.

Bristol Beaufighter with plane tractor and a C-47 in the background.

Erwin

That's right, it is a Beaufighter. They were used on reverse land-lease in the Med. area mostly as night fighters. In RAF service the Beau was a very successfull night fighter and the AAF used some till the P-70 and later P-61 night fighters came on line.

Hi,

Is correct. Is an Beaufighter (made by english) bu used by USAAF under Reversive Lend Lease during the WW2.

Some english aircraft was used by american during the war under sistem of Lend Lease.Some Spitfires and Mosquitos were used too with USAAF markings.

Good Luck.

post-2118-1198712054.jpg

Thanks all for the very informative replies! I guess it was seeing what my minds eye wished to see. Even under 800 dpi I couldn't see the details pointed out in the replies. It is wonderfull to learn new things every day! thumbsup.gif

Mike