My Latest Patches

VirtualMariner

VirtualMariner

Scored a few new patches this week. Hoping the rest show up in the mail tomorrow, but figured I'd post what I have so far.

First set is USMC aviation; all Cherry Point units. The VMA-223 is a neat variation. The bulldog is normally not in a martial arts motif, but instead has boxing gloves. This squadron deployed aboard my ship back in '89. MAG-40 was aboard for the Gulf War. This MAG-40 patch is the version from back then. VMA-231 was also out of Cherry Point, but were land based during the Gulf War. Working on the air side of CIC, though, we kept up with all these squadrons. While I was in the Navy on a flat top amphib, my brother was a Marine airwinger at Cherry Point, so I always felt a connection and affinity for these Marine squadrons.

post-62511-1330140350.jpg

VirtualMariner

This "Fast Falcons" patch is from my Coast Guard Auxiliary Division, but is several years old. There weren't many made and then the SAR Task Force never got completely operational, so most of that small run of patches was never distributed. Very few floating around anymore, but I finally got my hands on one.

The USS Truxtun I got in a trade...I may end up selling or trading it...but it's kind of cool. This one is from between 1967-1974, which was the period between commissioning and being redesignated as as CGN, instead of DLGN. The Truxtun spent a lot of time off Vietnam and is credited with firing the last missile at a North Vietnamese target.

post-62511-1330140951.jpg

VirtualMariner
Very nice patches, I especially like the Cherry Point Harrier squadrons.

The Marine Corps squadron patches are generally interesting to me, but I'm trying to start with the ones we used to work with. Of course, I had a few years back, but didn't keep up with them. It's only recently that I decided to officially "collect". I seem to keep up with things more now that it's not just my "old Navy stuff".

VirtualMariner

My Gunrunners patch showed up in the mail today, so I'll add it to this thread. This helicopter attack squadron is out of MCAS New River; not far from MCAS Cherry Point. These guys deployed with us multiple times, from drug ops in the Caribbean, presidential support ops in Cartagena, Colombia and during the Gulf War. There are several variations of this patch to collect.

post-62511-1330185612.jpg

VirtualMariner

Last ones of the weekend. Picked these up at a surplus store today. Other than the Marine insignia, will probably just put these in my "for trade" bag, but I coudln't come home empty handed.

post-62511-1330210018.jpg