Chinese silver EGA on Marine/Army Shooting Trophy

Here is a interesting EGA that is on a silver Chinese made Marine/Army shooting trophy from Peiping, China dated 1931. The Marines won the match 5879 to 5851.

Dick

post-9487-1330127580.jpg

post-9487-1330127590.jpg

post-9487-1330127599.jpg

post-9487-1330127609.jpg

I thought it was a really neat cup. Thank you Dirk for the 1931 Guard Annual article. That makes the cup much more interesting. Everything is applied to the cup. The eagles seem to be roughly stamped out and all detail was added by stamping and chasing.

Dick

teufelhunde.ret

First Sgt. Huff (Melvin T.) seen in the pic, is mentioned on several occasions in the book "Marine Corps Competitive Marksmanship" written many years ago by Major Barde.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. I like unusual interesting identified pieces. This trophy isn't identified to an individual but it is identified to a time and place I find very interesting.

Dick

usmcaviator

Dick,

Great piece, should fit in nicely with the other Mounted Legation trophy you have!! Looks like we have an official China Marine hound on our hands!! Very mystiqued era of collecting!!

S/F,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Yes, this will go great with the Horse Marine Trophy. Thanks to you and your help I have become a China Marine hound and I love it!

With your limited access to the internet I don't know if you saw this silver Chinese tankard presented to Col. James Hemphill Jones, USMC in 1855 or 1856. Col Jones served through the Mexican War, he sailed with Comm. Matthew C. Perry to Japan where he paraded his Marines through the streets of Edo, he commanded armed boats from the Frigate USS Powhatan which attacked pirates at Ty-ho Bay, he commanded Marines on the USS Powhatan when she attacked the Chinese Taku Forts and he commanded Co. B of United States Marines at the 21 July 1861 Battle of Bull Run (First Battle of Manassas) where he was wounded.

Thanks again for really getting me started being a China Marine hound.

Dick

post-9487-1331236870.jpg