M43 Field Trousers

Constabulary

I just noticed that my M43 trousers have sewn their buttons at various positions and numbers -

Then I have noticed different seems at the inside of the backside. I wonder why and if all that could be a hint of when they were made.

They are all US made, no Norwegian or reproduction.

Any Ideas?

IMG_3227.jpg

IMG_3229.jpg

Then the different backside seems (don´t know the technical term for that).

Was it up to the manufacturer how to do it?

IMG_3228.jpg

okay - I just noticed that the trousers with the 13 star metal buttons have all their buttons on the outside (makes sense).

okay - I just noticed that the trousers with the 13 star metal buttons have all their buttons on the outside (makes sense).

You do realize that the buttons are for affixing a bracing system so that suspenders can be used to keep the trousers up right?

The 13 button trousers are earlier, followed by the brown buttons and then the green button trousers.

The M1943 field trouser DESIGN is still being used today by a number of armies including the US Army which uses them as overtrousers for extreme cold weather operations.

Allan

You do realize that the buttons are for affixing a bracing system so that suspenders can be used to keep the trousers up right?

The 13 button trousers are earlier, followed by the brown buttons and then the green button trousers.

The M1943 field trouser DESIGN is still being used today by a number of armies including the US Army which uses them as overtrousers for extreme cold weather operations.

Allan

also, as a general rule of thumb - when the side adjustment tabs face forward these tend to be wartime, when the tabs face to the rear these will be postwar.

P

Johan Willaert
also, as a general rule of thumb - when the side adjustment tabs face forward these tend to be wartime, when the tabs face to the rear these will be postwar.

P

Not necessarily... The Spec 371C, dated 22 Feb 45 trousers drawing have the tabs facing to the rear...

I have at least one with brown buttons with a post WWII date.

So the different numbers and positions of buttons are a sign for different spec dates and therefore one could tell the manufacturing period from it, right?

Then, some have a double seem ans some have a single seem at the back side. Was it just the choice of the manufacturer or is it because of different specs?

@Johan

any chance that you have some more information regarding the spec dates