Question about WACs and "Aviation Cadets"

siege1863

I have a "short snorter" dated February 1943, which has been signed by five women and four men. Four of the women noted their rank as lieutenant, while the fifth was a sergeant. Three of the men were officers, two captains and one lieutenant. The fourth man did not indicate rank.

Here is my question...Three of the women, the lieutenants, appear in the NARA enlistment database as having joined the WACs, in November and December 1942, as "aviation cadets," and with a branch code of "inactive reserves." What is the connection between the WACS (as opposed to the WASPs) and flying? It should be noted one of the male officers identified himself at a captain in the Air Corps.

Somewhere on line (perhaps at the Army Air Forces website) I read a lengthy discussion on this same question. The poster had a similar record that showed his family member had enlisted in the WACs as an aviation cadet. He was informed that the information had to be in error since no WACs flew and no women in service were designated "aviation cadets." Can anyone shed some light on this?

For those curious, the names of the women are:

Lt. Anne S. Craig

Lt. Ruth Santoyan

Lt. Sylvia Mandelbaum

Lt. Elfrieda H. ???

Sgt Gladys R. "Ruth" Rightor

It may have been a category title used for lack of any alternative (on the relevant form(s)) for processing the ENLISTMENT of females as CADETS, i.e. destined for WAAC OCS. "cadet", yes. For pilot training, no.