WW2 SeeBees Medal?

nbolinger

I got this last week and never seen one before, i think it may be seebees, i guess it also came in sterling since its stamped sterling but this is once is bronze.Great detail.Anybody ever seen one before?

post-9905-1330043943.jpg

post-9905-1330043953.jpg

post-9905-1330043965.jpg

VirtualMariner

Not sure what this is, but I don't see anything that particularly suggests Seabees. The photos are too small for me to see much detail, but it appears to be an image of the god Mercury (winged helmet is associated with him). There was a USS Mercury during WWII.

Not sure what he's holding on to, but looks like it may be a mine. Perhaps this is EOD related then? The "Navy" comes across as something of a broad nature, but then you have the number which I guess could either be a unit number or indicate number of years, as in an anniversary. Maybe? It's an interesting piece, which I've never seen.

Thanks for the help on the medal, before the day is out ill figure out the picture thing.The reasion i thought it may be seebees is the top part of the medal has a NCB Navy 230 i figured navel construction battalion # 230 but i could not find any info in the net.Ill try and post better pics. Thanks for your help.

VirtualMariner

I didn't really catch the NOB, or NCB, whichever it is. If it's NCB then your Seabee thoughts make sense. It does actually look more like NOB to me, though. As already stated, that could stand for Naval Operations Base, such as NOB Norfolk, though there are others. Nothing in that connotation immediately brings to mind anything dealing with Mercury or whatever that is on the medal. Who knows? It's an interesting mystery.