SUGARMAN JUMP WINGS

Costa, I've got a Sugarman CIB which has been identified on the forum as being post-war. Personally, I've never encountered any wings bearing their name...but that doesn't mean to say they aren't out there somewhere!? :think:

I've never come across a WW2 era US basic paratrooper wing made by Sugarman. I have a post war piece made by Sugarman pictured below. If Sugarman did make one during the war it would be very rare. What I would watch out for is someone taking a post war wing to a jeweler and having them replace the clutchback with a pin back. I can't say for sure but maybe 20 years or so ago I remember an insignia dealer who use to set up at a large gun show twice a year in Pomona, California, that was selling an inordinate number of pin back US master paratrooper wings. The vast majority of master paratrooper wings are clutch back with pinback variations being rather rare. There were just too many in one spot and I felt that the pin backs had at one time been clutch backs.

post-1389-1330025146.jpg

post-1389-1330025157.jpg

Sure looks like the pin and catches have been recently added.Just my opinion.

that is my opinion also looks made up kinda like a crest craft i got burned on for 80 at least i didnt get got for 258 like some sucker did pt barnum was right there's one born every minute

• 8 years later...
101STCOLLECTOR

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=paratrooper&_sacat=4716&LH_TitleDesc=0&_pgn=5&rt=nc

Search for Sugerman.  There are lots of threads and I've seen a real pair in a collection in PA.  I will try to get a pic for you if he still has them.

I saw these on eBay not too long ago and was not convinced enough to bid on them as I felt there was the possibility that they could have been modified by a jeweler by removing the clutch back pins and adding a pin back assembly as well as the two stars.   I have been collecting paratrooper wing variants for some time now and it has only been within I would say the last five years or so that you all of a sudden started seeing a few of these Sugerman pin back paratrooper wings.  

Sugarman 2 Combat Stars PB (2).jpg

Sugarman 2 Combat Stars PB (3).jpg

Sugarman 2 Combat Stars PB (1).jpg

triplecanopy

I almost hate to jump in here, but could not resist since I have an example (good or bad) of both wings being discussed in this thread. Now, I can't say if they are genuine or not, but since we are all here to learn, I will offer this. All the wings shown here are die struck (not cast) and all have the die shearing marks to prove that. I can't say if the clutch posts have been removed and replaced with broach pins. Is that possible ? Yes, I am sure it is. So did I get taken or are they real? I really don't know. None of these are recent acquisitions.

IMG_1124.jpeg.0db13761909b8b4d92885df7add0a882.jpegIMG_1125.jpeg.9e1ab420b247760502af0d6fb687f0b4.jpeg

• 2 years later...

Well, considering Harry Sugerman was a fruit wholesaler in Chicago in 1940 and his business wasn't registered in San Antonio until 1950, I'd wager he wasn't in the insignia business, at least not in his own right, during WWII.

By April 26, 1950, he was in Texas and had his own "Military Supply" business. The "Susco" name and logo date to 1950, though they weren't trademarked until the 1960s. It was owned by Zale's for a while, then bought back by the son and son-in-law. The newest, dated piece I have for Sugerman is a CIB on the card with a "12/90" contract date.

Yes, I'm doing a deep dive into the Sugerman company for my records, so if you have anything you think that could be useful (Seriously anything- I'm trained as an anthropologist and do genealogy as a hobby. I can work from bread crumbs.), feel free to send it my way. Would anyone be interested in an updated Sugerman thread?

M-T0627-01017-00171.jpg

43290879-Texas-061720-0023.jpg

0.jpg

Great information and research as this explains why when you look up the military insignia hallmark list you have a listing for Harry Sugarman and then you have a separate listing for SUSCO which says afterwards "See Harry Sugarman".  This explains their connection.  

Forum member @haw68 has some amazing information on regalia and jewelery manufacturers.  You should contact him to see if he has any data on Harry Sugarman.

Regards

Chris