Three Star general's Grouping

manayunkman

manayunkman

John,

Thank you so much for the links. I was blown away when I saw your first post. I am confident that we will help each other.

M

manayunkman
This is the insignia of the Military Order of Foreign Wars.

MILITARY ORDER OF FOREIGN WARS

post-276-1330752499.jpg

Kevin

It appears that Ford was a member of this fraternity. What was the function they performed ?

Thank you for posting this attractive order and answering this question.

M

Here is a close up of the right side of the group. Notice the French insignia and the New York Conspicuous Service medal. The medal is made by Tiffany, it is engraved and numbered 104.

An absolutely amazing high end grouping with a great history and significance. Above all the bells and whistles, the Belgian Croix d'Guerre is impressive to me. French are common between bioth wars but I have not seen a Belgian in a grouping so I think with all the other great things about the grouping, for me, that makes it even more impressive and special.

Tony

This one was purchased on the same trip to Gettysburg from the same seller as my PI-make khaki cotton coat. I know for a fact that the guy who bought it added the NY medal for display purposes. The stars (MG only) are Tiffany made and engraved to Ford from his staff. It now resides in the Nelson Museum of the West in Cheyenne, WY.

G

manayunkman
This one was purchased on the same trip to Gettysburg from the same seller as my PI-make khaki cotton coat. I know for a fact that the guy who bought it added the NY medal for display purposes. The stars (MG only) are Tiffany made and engraved to Ford from his staff. It now resides in the Nelson Museum of the West in Cheyenne, WY.

G

Is the French LOH original to Ford ?

Someone else on this forum has a similar uniform from Ford. Who in Gettysburg had this ??

My error -- I failed to look closely -- thot the neck order was NY state. NO, the LOH is NOT Ford's -- it was added by a previousowner whom I accompanied to Gettysburg. The dealer was George Marinos.

G

Since there have been a few threads on this group, I'm not sure if this has been posted or not...

http://www.militarymemorialmuseum.org/gene...my_generals.asp

This is another one of his uniforms...

This is a great museum and collectiom of general officers. The curator is probably one of the most knowlegable persons I know on the subject.

4starchris

manayunkman
My error -- I failed to look closely -- thot the neck order was NY state. NO, the LOH is NOT Ford's -- it was added by a previousowner whom I accompanied to Gettysburg. The dealer was George Marinos.

G

Ah yes George Marinos. Spent much of my youth hanging out at the Gettysburg Battlefield Military Museum bothering George and waiting for someone to bring something in that I could afford to buy.

• 7 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
manayunkman

Dave Pfeiffer who recently passed got 2 trunk loads of the General’s items from a Silver Springs PA flea market dealer.

His trunks had uniforms and hats but no one had a chance to get a close look as Dave spirited it all away in a flash.

I only saw what I saw because I was set up next to this dealer and caught a glimpse.

How was i to know that some 10 years later I would find the Generals medals and remembered that day that Dave got 2 trunks full.

Dave even though you never showed me your group I dedicate this thread to you.

• 1 month later...
Acollecter17
On 3/21/2023 at 10:44 AM, manayunkman said:

Dave Pfeiffer who recently passed got 2 trunk loads of the General’s items from a Silver Springs PA flea market dealer.

His trunks had uniforms and hats but no one had a chance to get a close look as Dave spirited it all away in a flash.

I only saw what I saw because I was set up next to this dealer and caught a glimpse.

How was i to know that some 10 years later I would find the Generals medals and remembered that day that Dave got 2 trunks full.

Dave even though you never showed me your group I dedicate this thread to you.

Manay,  do you know if the dealer is selling off the generals items?

manayunkman
9 hours ago, Acollecter17 said:

Manay,  do you know if the dealer is selling off the generals items?

This all happened about 20 years ago.

I have no idea where this stuff is today.

I sold my group in this thread on eBay and Dave’s wife sold his collection to an anonymous buyer.