Three Star general's Grouping

manayunkman

Due to some personal problems I have lost most of my collection but have managed to hold onto a couple of things. This grouping from Lieut. General Stanley Hammer Ford is one of those things.

Back in the day, when I was young and moved around quickly, I went yard sailing every weekend. Early one Saturday morning a lady announced to me " My uncle won the Medal of Honor ! " We traded numbers.

A couple of days later I was at her house in front of 6 suite cases.

Five of them had women's clothes and jewelry. The sixth one had a toy soldier collection and military stuff.

I soon discovered that the MOH was really the French Legion D'Honor.

The pictures here depict only part of the grouping.

I hope you enjoy it and feel free to leave comments or ask questions

post-51189-1329974635.jpg

Here is a little bio on Ford thanks to jim2 who is another forum member. In addition, Ford was the first General to use an airplane to visit his commands. At the time he commanded the Second Army.

United States Army General. He graduated from the Ohio State University in 1898, was commissioned as an Infantry Second Lieutenant, and saw service in both Cuba and the Philippines during the Spanish American War. During World War One he served as Assistant Chief of Staff of the 84th Infantry Division and Chief of Staff of the 27th Infantry Division, receiving the Distinguished Service Medal in recognition of his superior performance. Ford continued his Army career after the war, serving as commander of the 16th Infantry Regiment from 1924 to 1926 and Assistant Chief of Staff of the Army's Military Intelligence Division from 1927 to 1930. He attained the rank of Brigadier General in 1930, Major General in 1936, and Lieutenant General in 1939, carrying out command assignments including the 1st Infantry Division, VII Corps, the Department of the Philippines, and the Second Army. As commander of the Second Army, he oversaw execution of large scale maneuvers and exercises by active Army and National Guard troops that enhanced their readiness in anticipation of World War II. General Ford retired upon reaching mandatory retirement age in January, 1941. During World War II he assisted John F. O'Ryan, the World War I commander of the 27th Infantry Division, during O'Ryan's assignment as New York State's Civil Defense Director. Ford died at the Army's Carlisle Barracks while en route to John F. Kennedy's inaugural

post-51189-1329975814.jpg

post-51189-1329975855.jpg

Here is a close up of the right side of the group. Notice the French insignia and the New York Conspicuous Service medal. The medal is made by Tiffany, it is engraved and numbered 104.

post-51189-1329976256.jpg

Here is a close up of the left side. Notice Ford's 1939 Span Am Encampment medal, the French insignia and all stars but 2 are made by Meyer and marked Shold-R-Form Sterling.

post-51189-1329976532.jpg

Here are a couple of photos of Ford. One as a Captain and the other as a full Colonel. The Col. is shaking the hand of a 1st I.D. Sgt.

post-51189-1329976698.jpg

post-51189-1329976725.jpg

Did I read that right Peter....you've lost most of your collection?! I'm really sorry to hear that...you had some killer stuff. :o Still..on the positive side you've retained a real "pearl" of a grouping here...something to re-build upon!?

Ian :thumbsup:

CNY Militaria

If you are going to keep one grouping, THIS would be the one! What else came with the grouping? Any uniforms?

Thanks for showing,

Justin

Outstanding grouping. It appears he didn't use his originally issued "No." #'d Phil. Camaign and Cuban Pac. medals for his medal bar (they appear to be the 2 stand alone campaign medals). Are the Phil. Campaign and Cuban Pac medals on the bar numbered?

Thanks for posting this.

Kurt

That's an incredible group!!!

It appears his stuff went to the four winds, but strangely, many of the four winds are on here!

Gil Sanow has his khaki uniform: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...ost&p=26199

Someone a while back asked about his dress blue uniform that was sold at auction (the link was just posted in the thread about the general's medals) and IIRC, we've discussed that lot on here two times since it came up for auction. I just can't find the threads regarding the lot! :pinch:

I have a feeling most of his group resides among members of the forum...and that's pretty cool!

Dave

Did I read that right Peter....you've lost most of your collection?! I'm really sorry to hear that...you had some killer stuff. :o Still..on the positive side you've retained a real "pearl" of a grouping here...something to re-build upon!?

Ian :thumbsup:

Yes Ian,

It didn't happen all at once but over the past 4 years I've had to sell hundreds of groupings. I still have a fraction of it and yes this is one of the better things.

M

As DAVE mentioned above, I do have Ford's khaki cotton PI made coat, restored to when he was CG of 1st Div. Later I was able to buy several other items from the fellow who had his blues on eBay a while back. Several of those photos are shown below. I have a few more, plus several of his business cards.

Note that he wore no SS on his ribbon bar. It is unclear whether it is on his mini bar in the second photo.

Enjoy!

G

scan0006.jpg

scan0003.jpg

CNY Militaria
As DAVE mentioned above, I do have Ford's khaki cotton PI made coat, restored to when he was CG of 1st Div. Later I was able to buy several other items from the fellow who had his blues on eBay a while back. Several of those photos are shown below. I have a few more, plus several of his business cards.

Note that he wore no SS on his ribbon bar. It is unclear whether it is on his mini bar in the second photo.

Enjoy!

G

I knew I recognized the name from somewhere! It was your uniform from him.

If you are going to keep one grouping, THIS would be the one! What else came with the grouping? Any uniforms?

Thanks for showing,

Justin

Thank you for your comment Justin,

No uniforms but there is more to the group. I think I have a couple of scrap books, boxes for the medals and some other stuff. I will make an effort to fish it out over the weekend.

M

Outstanding grouping. It appears he didn't use his originally issued "No." #'d Phil. Camaign and Cuban Pac. medals for his medal bar (they appear to be the 2 stand alone campaign medals). Are the Phil. Campaign and Cuban Pac medals on the bar numbered?

Thanks for posting this.

Kurt

Kurt,

Thank you for posting a comment. In answer to your question all the medals are numbered on and off the bar.

M

That's an incredible group!!!

It appears his stuff went to the four winds, but strangely, many of the four winds are on here!

Gil Sanow has his khaki uniform: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...ost&p=26199

Someone a while back asked about his dress blue uniform that was sold at auction (the link was just posted in the thread about the general's medals) and IIRC, we've discussed that lot on here two times since it came up for auction. I just can't find the threads regarding the lot! :pinch:

I have a feeling most of his group resides among members of the forum...and that's pretty cool!

Dave

Good to hear from you Dave. Thank you for your comments.

When Ford passed all of his militaria went to a family member. When this person passed back in the 1980's it was divided between several cousins ( nieces and nephews ) . I met a niece. I remember being at the flea market back in the 1980's when one of the dealers bought a trunk full of uniforms which another member of this forum now owns. From what I understand there is still a bunch of Fords flying gear out there. Apparently the nieces and nephews all sold their stuff.

It looks like it's exactly the same bar...to include the Silver Star. Thoughts???

stanleymedals.jpg

hi manny........great stuff,i appears we each ended up with half the group,i think you got the better of the deal..........dave

Dave so good to hear from you my old friend,

You are the guy who got that trunk full from Mike back in the 1980's. I don't really know what you got except one or more uniforms. You should send it to me and hurry up about it. I think we ended up with just a fraction of it. I used to have a numbered trunk of his and it was over 20. He had a ton of stuff. He retired in New Bloomfield, Pa. That is why he died at the War College in Carlisle.

Manny

This is collecting at the high level.......absolutely beautiful.

Good to hear from you JS. Thank you for posting a comment.

M