Lee Marvin's USMC WWII Causualty Card

arclight

Adding More....

post-8213-1329956446.jpg

This picture really struck me as being rather... "leveling". In life Lee Marvin was larger than life, a star, a famous man, a household name, but in the company of his "peers" at Arlington, he is Pfc Lee Marvin, Marine from WW2, no more, no less, than those around him.

I guess I just find that rather profound.

MW

This picture really struck me as being rather... "leveling". In life Lee Marvin was larger than life, a star, a famous man, a household name, but in the company of his "peers" at Arlington, he is Pfc Lee Marvin, Marine from WW2, no more, no less, than those around him.

Well put Mike, well put !!! I don't think anyone could sum it up any better than that. In the company of hero's, in a place such as Arlington, all are equal. That simple headstone should speak volumes about the type of man Lee Marvin was. As a famous movie star he could have been buried in a private cemetary or even a famous cemetary in Hollywood, but he chose to be buried "in the company of his Marine brethern.

Robin, Thanks for posting al of that! Interesting that he was Court Martialed. But, then again, he is only human, and was very young at the time. And so the making of "the Dirty Dozen" began.

It is my opinion that the Marine Corps is very protective of their own.......AS THEY SHOULD BE, in this case.

Other documents that I have posted have been requested by the person I have dealt with in order to be added to Lee Marvin's file that is kept by this department.

I also believe that the documents posted here are not available to the general public any longer. This may not be true, it is only my opinion.

:w00t: Very nice to see all the respectful comments about Lee Marvin here on this forum. They just don`t make actors like that anymore. He scared the HELL out of me in "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence" when I was a kid! On the series "Combat" the actors couldn`t believe he would drink until 3:00a.m. in th morning and show up for work at 6:00 a.m. Also, a friend of his was stopped one night by a police officer. The cop went up to the car and said to the driver, " Did you know that Lee Marvin was lying on the roof of your car?" That`s a fact! He lived life! You will never find his likes again! Enjoy all his movies, films and television shows......

It is my opinion that the Marine Corps is very protective of their own.......AS THEY SHOULD BE, in this case.

Other documents that I have posted have been requested by the person I have dealt with in order to be added to Lee Marvin's file that is kept by this department.

I also believe that the documents posted here are not available to the general public any longer. This may not be true, it is only my opinion.

Hey JS.

Thanks for sharing PFC Lee Marvin's Marine Military File and Info with us :thumbsup: Thanks a lot.. It sure is very interesting !

He will never be forgotton as they do say: Once a Marine Always a Marine.

SEMPER FI.

• 5 months later...
American Heritage

I guess I just find that rather profound.

MW

MW, I was thinking the exact same thing! I looked for something about being an actor on there and when I did not see it, I realized, well of course they are not going to put that on there - that is unimportant compared to what he accomplished as a Marine, and in the company of heros, that is irrelevant I suppose. Young men today need to read this history and get with the program....OK I sounded like my Dad there....but it is so true! I fear that manliness is being diluted and underappreciated in general.

THANKS FOR POSTING THESE DOCS of one of my favorite heros. :)

if you don't know this song....you'd better watch it and think ....

"Home is made for coming from, for dreams of going to

Which with any luck will never come true

I was born under a wandrin' star"

CLICK TO LISTEN:

Lee Marvin is my and my father's favourite actor. I have read entire this interesting thread and some things seem to me like the Polish wording "szukanie dziury w całym" which is a counterpart of your "seeking a brack where the hedge is whole".

There is nothing bad in the fact that Lee Marvin was "damn proud" of his USMC service. I would be too. Was he an "Enfant Terrible"? Yes, he was and what of that? Sir Roger Moore wrote in his memoirs how did it look like when Lee Marvin saw the Japanese somewhere in the area where a movie was produced. I would be the same as Marvin knowing what Japanese barbarians did against Allied soldiers and PoWs. Sorry -- I am incapable of compassion the Japanese after their natural disasters knowing what war crimes they did during WWII and never apologized for them.