WWII USMC Rare early First Aid Pouch Double snap

uplandmod

I'm planning to purchase this early WWII USMC First Aid pouch but just wanted to get a second opinion as I never have handled one in person.

I believe It meets all the requirements:

USMC Hanger

Unreinforced snaps on body

Writing in the snap on the pouch flap

It looks right as rain and trust me I'm paying for it but I just wanted to get a second opinion before I drop the cash as it is not cheap.

Thank You

Leonardo

post-20589-1329848943.jpg

post-20589-1329848962.jpg

post-20589-1329848977.jpg

Hi !

Looks like one of the best minty USMC pouches I have seen, but I'm a little worried about the lack of markings inside. Any faint trace of DQP 1939-40 or something like that? Anyway if all is ok this is a gem for sure...

Fausto

craig_pickrall

Here are two good ones to compare it to. Notice that both of mine have the pass thru holes for the hanger and one has the added outside hook. I'm not to sure of the dark OD hanger on the one you show. Get 'flage guy to pass judgement before spending big $$$ on this. I'm suspicious but am far from an expert on them.

post-5-1329854644.jpg

post-5-1329854654.jpg

post-5-1329854664.jpg

craig_pickrall

I just noticed that the cover on the one you show is rounded in the center but both of mine are straight in that area. I'm even more concerned now. These are heavily reproed and they are good copies too.

First off thanks for the input! I would love for 'flange guy to check it out.

It seems the toughest part for the repros to do are those snaps. The unreinforced bottom button and the writing in the top snap haven't been reproduced as far as I know.

I also believe they made them without the holes with just a hanger on the back,

But I will proceed with caution until I hear back from Flange guy.

Thank you very much!!!

Leonardo

craig_pickrall

Contact Keystone and get his opinion on the one you want to buy. He is another excellent source of info. His one pouch does have the rounded flap like yours. None of them have the OD7 hanger tab though. They are all OD3 khaki.

Contact Keystone and get his opinion on the one you want to buy. He is another excellent source of info. His one pouch does have the rounded flap like yours. None of them have the OD7 hanger tab though. They are all OD3 khaki.

Thanks Craig, will do! :thumbsup:

you have some nice pouches by the way! :jeal0001:

Cheers!

Leonardo

What are the markings on the snaps if any? I am no expert but I have a pair of these pouches and they rounded shape of yours worries me a little bit.

post-2035-1329872202.jpg

post-2035-1329872214.jpg

post-2035-1329872233.jpg

Corpsmancollector

L,

I would do some serious comparisons before going ahead and spending your hard earned cash on this one. I'm 'on the fence' at the moment; I don't particularly like the colour of the canvas (body) and the curvature of the flap doesn't seem quite right to me. But that could be the way/angle the photo is taken, but I'm not entirely convinced. I do have an original example but I'm unable to post it at the moment as it's in storage. I'd wait for some more opinions.

Subsystem; VERY nice pouches! :thumbsup:

Will

Leonardo,

there is a topic started one year ago by Bagman which contains an in deep study on these USMC pouches. Go to "USMC Phila. Depot First Aid Pouches, Final Types" and you will find a lot of informations and pictures on the many variations of this pouch...

Fausto

Since Fausto was nice enough to mention it, here is a link to the thread I started exactly a year ago on the last two "variations/types/patterns" of Marine Corps manufactured FAPS, including ones like Leonardo is asking about:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...howtopic=102236

For the record, I can say that Leonardo's pouch looks fine to me. The flap shape is entirely consistent with what I would expect for that variation of pouch. The hook hanger strap looks like it is greenish tinted OD #3 which can be found in use on various Philadelphia Depot produced web gear of the WWII period, including a FAP in my possession of the same variation as the one under discussion. I also tend to think it is likely that the pictures posted may not accurately convey the actual color of the pouch being scrutinized.

If I were considering acquiring this pouch, I would not hesitate. If you are still uncomfortable, Leonardo, ASK FOR RETURN PRIVILEGES, and post better pics when you have the pouch in hand. You might also do what some collectors of supposed Civil War Confederate items resort to---go into a dark room with the item, sit quietly, and listen for the strains of "Dixie", or, in your case, the Marine Corps Hymn, faintly coming from the item!! :D

For me, the single BEST identification point on these pouches are the Carr snaps. Every other feature pales in comparison. I have never seen a pouch that I felt might be a repro with these snaps. I have never seen a pouch I felt was authentic WITHOUT them!! Now, if some repro artist has somehow managed to get his hands on some original snaps....all bets are off, and being certain of any pouch's authenticity becomes problematic if not impossible.....

Hope something here helps with your decision making, Leonardo.

Respectfully submitted,

Terry ("Bagman")

craig_pickrall

Terry I had forgotten how good your thread on the USMC FA pouches was. I have pinned it for a whole new group of members to discover.

Terry,

I was just wondering about the markings on these pouches. Would we expect to find faint traces of some QDP-date on them, or could they be unmarked?

Thanks!

Fausto

Corpsmancollector
Terry,

I was just wondering about the markings on these pouches. Would we expect to find faint traces of some QDP-date on them, or could they be unmarked?

Thanks!

Fausto

I think you can find faint DQP stampings underneath the flaps, much like the early Depot made riveted buckle '41 packs (Am I right there Terry?). My example doesn't have any stamping but it has been heavily used.

Will

Hello Everyone,

Thank you everyone for your input on this matter, Especially 'Flange Guy, Keystone, Craig, Corpmans Collector and Bagman for their long detailed emails and posts on their opinions on this pouch.

I have never handled one of these in all my years of collecting so I needed to vet this one. This is my first time in harnessing the awesome powers that is USMF and I wasn't disappointed! I just didn't want to miss any nuance which I'm really good at from time to time.

I've emailed the dealer one last time and waiting to hear the reply on what is written in the snaps. He emailed me earlier that it did say something.

I will keep everyone updated,

Thanks again!

Leonardo

I'm a Proud owner of a WWII USMC First aid pouch!!!

I should receive it about the middle of next month as my broker friend who helped me pick this up still needs to get it from the dealer and will send it to me when he receives it.

I did get an email from the dealer stating that it's hard to read but it says Carr in the snaps.

I will post pictures as soon as I get it. Considering how much these pouches go for I got it for a reasonable price.

With a recent pickup of a WWII Camo Shelter Half I finally bought two of the biggest items I've been missing for my USMC collection for years within a week! Everything else I need for my Iwo Jima display will be under $100.

Thank you everyone once again for all your help!

Leonardo

Corpsmancollector

L,

Well done on picking up a rare item, look forward to seeing the photos once you received it! :thumbsup:

Will

• 1 month later...
uplandmod

Received my WWII USMC First Aid pouch in the mail today.

First its great to finally own one all these years later, if you might have been looking for one you would know it is a thorn in your side trying to find one in any condition.

It is definitely original now that I have handled it and is in very good condition. The only real issue that it has is that the hanger isn't sewed on straight. The Carr and PAT lettering in the snaps is there but it is a bit oxidized to see clearly and even harder to photograph. One thing I was concerned with is that in the description was written in Japanese and I didn't notice that it said that there is glue on the edging but I since read that many USMC items had glue on the edges of the their hangers since it was raw material and it kept it from unraveling.

I am so glad I finally have one in my collection! It's not the best example of one but considering the rarity I believe having one in any condition is fine by me.

Thank you everyone for your input it was and is greatly appreciated!!

Another reason why USMF is the best Militaria site on the Internet!

Leonardo

craig_pickrall

I'm happy that it worked out well for you. I'm sure you will enjoy it for many years to come.

Leonardo-

I am glad you don't have to wait any longer to have and enjoy your pouch. Don't concern yourself with the hook being sewn on a little crooked. Those Philadelphia Depot machinists were cranking out stuff at a pretty good clip and slight imperfections were not uncommon.

I, for one, would enjoy seeing some new pictures sometime if you can do better than those first ones from the seller that you posted.

Congratulations on your successful hunt. Enjoy..... :thumbsup:

Terry ("Bagman")

uplandmod

Thanks everyone! I'm very thrilled I finally got one of these pouches, I can't wait to hook it on the bottom of my Jungle First aid pouch I bought in the early 1990's when I was a teen. It's been a long time coming!

Bagman, the new pictures are at the bottom of page 1.

Thanks you for helping me out with this one!

LF

'Flage Guy

Haven't seen this topic for a while; just looked at the recent pics. Leonardo, you scored big-time :blink: :w00t:

Almost invariably, for anyone who tries to locate one of these- especially in that condition- success is "a long time coming" :thumbsup: