Simple Question about USMC 8-Point Cover

dg0223

I bought a 3-color desert USMC 8-point cover at a flea market. It is nice, but I have a question. It had a pin-on major leaf on it. It was the smaller shirt size and it was the right USN/USMC style.

My question is, are Marines allowed to wear pin-on rank on their covers? Or did someone take my 8-point cover and pin a gold oak leaf on it?

Thank you for the read.

-dg

Hmmm - I know that not too long Navy officers serving with the Corps (Doctors and Chaplains mainly) could wear pin on grade insignia on the combat utility garrison cap (the official USMC name for the 8 point cover).

I'm pretty sure most if not all marine dcu covers have the ega stamped on them. Thats the way mine is at least. The navy also wore the utility cover though. My navy DCU cover has sew on PO2 rank on it. It could be a navy LT. Commander (gold leaf) Utility Cover with the rank pinned instead of sewn. Thats just my 2 cents though.

-Nick

Couple points

The USMC didn't have issue Chocolate Chip or 3 color DCU 8 point covers Covers. THE only thing in the official supply system during the periods when those were issued were the boonie covers. Having said that ALOT of Marines bought and wore them. If the commandant did it I must be OK. I had one and wore it during Desert Storm.

The wearing of rank insignia on the 8 Point cover (By Marines) stopped in the mid 1980s. Not saying it wdidn't happen, but not officially sanctioned. Could be different for navy personnel.

Hope this helps

John

teufelhunde.ret
The wearing of rank insignia on the 8 Point cover (By Marines) stopped in the mid 1980s. Not saying it wdidn't happen, but not officially sanctioned. Could be different for navy personnel.

Hope this helps

John

Ditto, it was never widely popular anyway... we were wearing our grade insignia on the collar anyway. Never did understand the need to wear it our your gourd... :blink:

VirtualMariner

My guess would be that it's a Navy cover. Like has already been noted, if it was USMC it should have an EGA stenciled on the front. Many people don't seem to realize that the Navy Docs and Chaplains stationed with the Marines are far from the only ones that would wear a "Marine-style" uniform. There were a number of Navy units that would wear a similar uniform but, of course, there would be no EGA on them. During the Gulf War era, it wouldn't have been unusual to see a Navy officer with a pin-on insignia like that. Not in my experiance, anyway.

Agreed. I've seen a few chocolate chip utility covers with or without the EGA's. I was thinking that the ones without were from Naval Personnel.

Sorry, I forgot to mention, it does have a black EGA stenciled or printed on the front. I'll just take the oak leaf off of it, since it appears as if the EGA should be the only thing on the front of it.

Besides, I plan to wear it anyway, so I don't want to keep the insignia on it in any event.

VirtualMariner
Sorry, I forgot to mention, it does have a black EGA stenciled or printed on the front. I'll just take the oak leaf off of it, since it appears as if the EGA should be the only thing on the front of it.

Besides, I plan to wear it anyway, so I don't want to keep the insignia on it in any event.

Hmm. Yeah, that changes things. :)

Looks like you have a Marine cover.

In 1980 I was attached to a reserve unit in the 4th MAW. We did some TAD at MCAS Beaufort, and while we were there, we were required to wear our rank insignia on our utility covers. As I remember it, we were told that since all USMC installations in the Beaufort/Parris Island area fell under the command of FMFLANT, we had to abide by the FMFLANT uniform regs, which were a bit different from those at Quantico.

Ditto, it was never widely popular anyway... we were wearing our grade insignia on the collar anyway. Never did understand the need to wear it our your gourd... :blink:

I agree 100%..to this day, I am still not thrilled about nametags , either