B-29 Hellbirds Fledgling Patch

Wingcommander

Wingcommander

Greetings all. A friend of mine recently came across this in a grouping to an AAF pilot who was first in the RCAF. I know the story of the Fledglings being like a "fan club" for the Hellbird group, was there any more importance to this group? Is this patch worth anything?

Thanks!

post-10148-1329749557.jpg

• 4 years later...
  • 2 years later...

This patch wasn't for a fan club. Members of the 462nd could request a patch for young relatives or friends. In March of 1945, I received my patch along with official orders and silver wings and a card identifying me as a fledgling of the 462nd. Unfortunately, my uncle was shot down over Tokyo a few days after he sent me the letter. He survived and was a POW until the war ended.

This patch wasn't for a fan club. Members of the 462nd could request a patch for young relatives or friends. In March of 1945, I received my patch along with official orders and silver wings and a card identifying me as a fledgling of the 462nd. Unfortunately, my uncle was shot down over Tokyo a few days after he sent me the letter. He survived and was a POW until the war ended.

Amazing story. I’m glad your uncle mad it home