Restoring My Grandfather's WWII Ike Jacket

Ngrovcam

Hey all! I was rooting around in the attic (The place where nearly all of our militaria is kept.) and came across my grandfather's WWII stuff...or whats left of it. (Grandmother threw away alot :crying: :crying: ) i came across his Ike, private purchase sweater vest, combat shirt,box of medals, a few small bring backs, and a few pictures and documents. I will post pictures later of all of these things. So anyways his ike is missing a few things...listed below:

What it has-

U.S. and Military police collar disks

French fouraggier chord

65th Infnatry division combat patch (Right sleeve)

9th Infantry division patch (Left sleeve)

What it is missing-

Ribbons (EAME 2 bronze stars, bronze star meritorious, good conduct, American service, WWII Vicotry)

Combat Infantrymans badge

Ruptured duck

3 overseas stripes

honorable discharge sleeve insignia

So there you have that...should I restore it too its former glory or leave it as is?

Thanks,

Nick C.

Hey all! I was rooting around in the attic (The place where nearly all of our militaria is kept.) and came across my grandfather's WWII stuff...or whats left of it. (Grandmother threw away alot :crying: :crying: ) i came across his Ike, private purchase sweater vest, combat shirt,box of medals, a few small bring backs, and a few pictures and documents. I will post pictures later of all of these things. So anyways his ike is missing a few things...listed below:

What it has-

U.S. and Military police collar disks

French fouraggier chord

65th Infnatry division combat patch (Right sleeve)

9th Infantry division patch (Left sleeve)

What it is missing-

Ribbons (EAME 2 bronze stars, bronze star meritorious, good conduct, American service, WWII Vicotry)

Combat Infantrymans badge

Ruptured duck

3 overseas stripes

honorable discharge sleeve insignia

So there you have that...should I restore it too its former glory or leave it as is?

Thanks,

Nick C.

If it were me, I'd restore it. It doesn't sound like there is all that much to restore anyway. Do you happen to have the missing parts and pieces, or do you need to acquire them ??? I would definitely restore his ribbons and his CIB as there is really nothing to that. However, if his uniform is completely missing his overseas bars and ruptured duck, I would not bother with replacing them as he obviously didn't wear them on his uniform. I have no idea what you are referring to when you say "honorable discharge sleeve insignia" ??? A ruptured duck IS the exact same thing.

I hope this helps.

Sean

• 2 weeks later...
I would leave it as is unless you see pin holes were it was. Even though he was awarded these, he may have not put it on his Ike.

Ditto.

. . . . .

theschneid88

If you have a good photo(s) to go by and can find period matching items, I say go for it. But if youre not sure or guessing...then leave it be

Just my humble opinion.

Gentlemen,

I have a picture of my grandfather wearing it..will try to upload this weekned or tonight thanks,

Nick C.