Rosette Info Needed

hirsca

His father in law was Lieutenant General Harold Cooper Donnelly...that's probably where the USAF stuff came from...

http://www.af.mil/information/bios/bio.asp?bioID=5245

Thanks Dave. That clears up a lot. There was a USMA yearbook at the sale, so I assumed (you know what that means) that it was his. The rosettes were probably his fathers. Thanks again for continuing the great help that you and the other Forummers provide. Al.

Thanks Dave. That clears up a lot. There was a USMA yearbook at the sale, so I assumed (you know what that means) that it was his. The rosettes were probably his fathers. Thanks again for continuing the great help that you and the other Forummers provide. Al.

I just read the bio on the father. Definitely confirms where the rosettes came from. Thanks again, Al.

Al,

Did you find any clues to help determine what the remaining unidentified rosette is?

I bet it's something Air Force related (maybe not USAF...) the general's bio states:

"General Donnelly's decorations include the Distinguished Service Medal, Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters, Army Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster, the Order of the British Empire and the French Legion of Honor."

So we can be 100% sure of the Legion of Honor and the OBE, so the other could be another foreign award...

Dave

I bet it's something Air Force related (maybe not USAF...) the general's bio states:

"General Donnelly's decorations include the Distinguished Service Medal, Legion of Merit with two oak leaf clusters, Army Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster, the Order of the British Empire and the French Legion of Honor."

So we can be 100% sure of the Legion of Honor and the OBE, so the other could be another foreign award...

Dave

Thanks Dave and Jack's Son. No ID yet on the remaining rosette. Here are a couple of pics of everything else I picked up at the estate sale in addition to the the rosettes.

Question on the rosettes---What size goes on what? 1/4" on a ribbon bar or would it be the 3/8"?? Thanks again, Al.

post-12790-1330275408.jpg

Thanks Dave and Jack's Son. No ID yet on the remaining rosette. Here are a couple of pics of everything else I picked up at the estate sale in addition to the the rosettes.

Question on the rosettes---What size goes on what? 1/4" on a ribbon bar or would it be the 3/8"?? Thanks again, Al.

post-12790-1330275487.jpg

There are only a few american awards that did or do include a rosette primarily AF and NASA. The remaining rosette reminds me of a NASA, DOD or AF civilian service ribbon. I think it matches the NASA Distinguished Public Service Medal rosette. I looked through a hundred or so other rosette pictures and it's the only one that is close.

Here's a nice example to illustrate the diagonal pattern used on rosettes. This rosette and the Bronze Star ribbon came from the estate of a US Navy Captain who received the BS for his work in creating the camo/concealment paint scheme for submarines.

bsrosette.jpg

There are only a few american awards that did or do include a rosette primarily AF and NASA. The remaining rosette reminds me of a NASA, DOD or AF civilian service ribbon. I think it matches the NASA Distinguished Public Service Medal rosette. I looked through a hundred or so other rosette pictures and it's the only one that is close.

Brian,

I have looked at all the rosettes I could find, and came to the same conclusion. I thought Al's was a bit "yellower", and I didn't want to stick my neck out! :lol:

Only the small LdeH rosettes would have been worn on ribbons. The others were for wearing on the lapel. The OBE didn't have a rosette, so those are definitely for the lapel. And the other...I'm guessing it's a NASA award as it looks really close to the one that was found (above). Unfortunately, the general's bio doesn't cover his last 2 years in the service nor what he did later, so there's the possibility he went to work for NASA at some point, either before retirement or afterwards...

Dave

Only the small LdeH rosettes would have been worn on ribbons. The others were for wearing on the lapel. The OBE didn't have a rosette, so those are definitely for the lapel. And the other...I'm guessing it's a NASA award as it looks really close to the one that was found (above). Unfortunately, the general's bio doesn't cover his last 2 years in the service nor what he did later, so there's the possibility he went to work for NASA at some point, either before retirement or afterwards...

Dave

Thanks Dave. The NASA DPSM colors look right, but did they make a rosette? I saw online a lapel pin which was a miniature of the medal's planchette. Also, I found a list of everyone who had been awarded that medal and Hino was not on it. Thanks again.

Thanks Dave. The NASA DPSM colors look right, but did they make a rosette? I saw online a lapel pin which was a miniature of the medal's planchette. Also, I found a list of everyone who had been awarded that medal and Hino was not on it. Thanks again.

What about Donnelly? As far as I'm concerned, these rosettes have nothing to do with Hino - all this appears to have belonged to his father in law...

Dave

What about Donnelly? As far as I'm concerned, these rosettes have nothing to do with Hino - all this appears to have belonged to his father in law...

Dave

Arrrgh! Sorry about that----but Donnelly is not on the Wikipedia list either. Thanks, Al.

Every official NASA award also has a rosette.

Every official NASA award also has a rosette.

Thanks SEABEEBRIAN. I think that we have now closed the loop on this one!! Many thanks to all of you who helped solve the puzzle. Al.

Arrrgh! Sorry about that----but Donnelly is not on the Wikipedia list either. Thanks, Al.

I wouldn't trust the Wikipedia list. Not a couple months ago, their Legion of Merit recipient list was about 200 people long. Now it's about 2000 people long. The 4-star command I worked for processed that many for Navy and MC recipients alone in about a 4 year period. With that said - their lists are VERY incomplete.

Keep your fingers crossed!

Dave

I wouldn't trust the Wikipedia list. Not a couple months ago, their Legion of Merit recipient list was about 200 people long. Now it's about 2000 people long. The 4-star command I worked for processed that many for Navy and MC recipients alone in about a 4 year period. With that said - their lists are VERY incomplete.

Keep your fingers crossed!

Dave

Well, I just reopened the loop!! Thanks Dave, I'll go to plan B (and C and D etc.) now. Al.

Well, I just reopened the loop!! Thanks Dave, I'll go to plan B (and C and D etc.) now. Al.

I just found his obit from the Albuquerque paper. No mention of NASA service pre or post retirement. But he was assigned to and later commanded the Defense Atomic Support Agency and it states that his awards included the DASA Distinguished Service Medal (along with the OBE and LoH). I cannot find a picture of that medal to see if the ribbon matches the rosette in question. Anyone? Thanks, Al.

• 10 months later...

I picked these up yesterday along with other items from the estate sale of a retire USAF BG who started his career in the Army as an artillery officer. They measure in size from 1/2" to 3/8" to 1/4". The 1/2" is dark blue along the edge with blue, gold and blue going from the edge to the center. The first 3/8" size is a pink/salmon color with narrow very light blue diagonal stripes. All in the last group are solid red in both 3/8" and 1/4" sizes. Would the 1/2" size be for wearing on a civilian jacket lapel? And would the 3/8" and 1/4" sizes be placed on full size and miniature medals respectively? Any comments or info on these is much appreciated. Thanks, Al Hirschler in Dallas.

I am a new member and read this post. Yes, the first rosette (dark blue with gold and blue) is NASA Distinguished Public Service. I know because I am a NASA collector. I am wondering if you have any extra.

I am a new member and read this post. Yes, the first rosette (dark blue with gold and blue) is NASA Distinguished Public Service. I know because I am a NASA collector. I am wondering if you have any extra.

Hello thessa720 and welcome to the Forum. Sorry, I sold it last fall at the Dallas OMSA convention. The buyer thought it was for the Military Order of the Carabao, but I'm really not sure anymore what it was for. There have been some very educated guesses provided by members of this Forum, but the military history of both of the men had no reference to NASA. But it sure does look like the NASA DPS. Thanks, Al.

Hello thessa720 and welcome to the Forum. Sorry, I sold it last fall at the Dallas OMSA convention. The buyer thought it was for the Military Order of the Carabao, but I'm really not sure anymore what it was for. There have been some very educated guesses provided by members of this Forum, but the military history of both of the men had no reference to NASA. But it sure does look like the NASA DPS. Thanks, Al.

Al thank you for your responce..John

• 7 years later...