To clean or not to clean..

AAF_Collection

AAF_Collection

I have in my collection this USAAF P-38 Pilots Ring which is heavily tarnished and I would welcome any thoughts on whether I should clean it or not?.

SDC14910.jpg

SDC14909.jpg

Thanks,

Matt.

I asked this same question ones about an observer wing which had become quite dark over the years.

The advice given was to just brush it lightly with water and soap. It came out very nice with the higher parts standing out though leaving a nice patina on the lower areas.

Good luck!

We've had this same question come up about cleaning wings. Personally, I'm with Sjef - I'd clean it with soap and water. Dish soap is best because it doesn't leave residue and it leaves a nice, light gloss behind. Depending on the patina, I'll just lightly brush the highlights with a polishing cloth (NEVER with polishing liquid or paste!) and that leaves 90% of the original patina behind in the deep areas.

I used to do this all the time when I collected Soviet awards, but it doesn't work so well on US uniforms.... ;):lol:;)

Dave

AAF_Collection

Thanks to all for your advice :thumbsup: I have given the ring a gentle clean in soapy water using a soft toothbrush,followed by carefully using white sprit and a q-tip on the highlights and I'm pleased with the result.

Cheers,

Matt.

I'm with Costa. My opinion is to only clean for the purpose of removing something that will cause further degredation of the item. Granted, soap and water will do no damage, but it does remove some of the patina, and that is where the value comes from.

Thanks to all for your advice :thumbsup: I have given the ring a gentle clean in soapy water using a soft toothbrush,followed by carefully using white sprit and a q-tip on the highlights and I'm pleased with the result.

Cheers,

Matt.

Could you maybe post a picture of the result? I am very curious. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
AAF_Collection

Apologies for the delay in taking these shots of the ring after cleaning.

The rings owner was a P-38 Pilot with the 384th FS,364th FG Eighth Air Force,he was shot down and made POW in May 44. I bought the ring and some insignia from his son via ebay several years ago,unfortunately I missed his POW tags :crying: I will post details of the group under groupings when I have a better camera!.

SDC14989.jpg

SDC14990-1.jpg

Matt.

General Apathy
Apologies for the delay in taking these shots of the ring after cleaning.

The rings owner was a P-38 Pilot with the 384th FS,364th FG Eighth Air Force,he was shot down and made POW in May 44. I bought the ring and some insignia from his son via ebay several years ago,unfortunately I missed his POW tags :crying: I will post details of the group under groupings when I have a better camera!.

SDC14989.jpg

SDC14990-1.jpg

Matt.

Matt, very nice :thumbsup: , lot of detail in that ring and knowing the previous owner is great, sad to think though that a son would not treasure such a personal item.

ken

AAF_Collection

Indeed Ken,I asked him why he'd decided to sell the ring and other items and he said he still had his memories of his dad and he was keeping his albums etc. He did scan several photos for me and the POW Wartime Log his dad kept.

Matt.

• 2 months later...

I have two wings that came in a grouping of mine (hoping to post images of it later). I use a product called "Nevr Dull" on the silver of my horse riding tack and it leaves a beautiful shine. You pull a little wad of it out of the can- reminds me of quilt batting- and it already has the cleaner in it. All you do is buff and take a soft cloth to rub the tarnish and residue off. On my saddle conchos, the silver on my bit, etc it leaves a beautiful shine, but I'm not sure if it would leave any patina on a medal or wings. :think: I know it is safe on a lot of things- from brass to aluminum to chrome to sterling silver. You can find it at auto part stores (I think....probably ones that specialize in old cars) and in tack shops. I've yet to use it on anything in my collection, but I did use it on a sterling silver ring that was made for my grandmother in the early to mid 1900s: left the silver shiny, but didn't remove the shading in the etching.

AAF_Collection
I have two wings that came in a grouping of mine (hoping to post images of it later). I use a product called "Nevr Dull" on the silver of my horse riding tack and it leaves a beautiful shine. You pull a little wad of it out of the can- reminds me of quilt batting- and it already has the cleaner in it. All you do is buff and take a soft cloth to rub the tarnish and residue off. On my saddle conchos, the silver on my bit, etc it leaves a beautiful shine, but I'm not sure if it would leave any patina on a medal or wings. :think: I know it is safe on a lot of things- from brass to aluminum to chrome to sterling silver. You can find it at auto part stores (I think....probably ones that specialize in old cars) and in tack shops. I've yet to use it on anything in my collection, but I did use it on a sterling silver ring that was made for my grandmother in the early to mid 1900s: left the silver shiny, but didn't remove the shading in the etching.

Hi Ashley,

Thanks for your reply. Personally I wouldn't use polish on wings etc,I have found white spirit on a q-tip removes dirt and heavy tarnish but leaves a nice even patina.

Matt.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
AAF_Collection

Thanks for the positive comments guys :thumbsup: I will post some pictures of my other AAF class rings as soon as I have time.

Matt.

• 2 months later...