advice needed for collecting flight helmets

Stinger Gunner USMC

Stinger Gunner USMC

Ok, so I am a WWII uniform collector and specialize in USMC items. My son has showed a strong interest in collecting with me over the past 9 months or so and told me that he would like to collect something a bit different that what I collect. He said that he wants to start collecting Vietnam era items and really wants a flight helmet from the era and to eventually make a complete Vietnam era flight display.

This is where I need some advice. Being that he is a young collector does anyone have any advice on a good "entry level" helmet to start with. I don't want to spend several hundred dollars on one in case his interests change quickly.

Any help would be much appreciated!

316th FS 324th FG

Flightgear.dk is a good research point.

As to entry level, well, not sure what that means really from a price perspective. I have found H helmets for $75 and under, P's for under $100, and later helmets at $150 and up. And those would be pretty good prices. I dont find them like that often.

Many of the helmets shown on the bell's site can be found on eBay for up to $200.00 less. You just have to be patient. The more plain Jane helmets are what you're looking for. The more decorated and attributable they are the pricier they get.

IH

Johnny Signor

Sometimes shopping around you can find them in pieces and if you know the types you can pick up the various pieces to make an overall "complete " helmet and at a better price.

Unfortunately, Vietnam is not a good area to start collecting helmets as they have been in vogue for some time now and rarely can you find helmets that are worthy of collecting for a good price that aren't all rotted out. A early SPH-4 can be found for cheap if you keep your eyes open, but they starting to come up in price as people have figured out that they are worth more in pieces than whole some times.