2012 Show of Shows, 23-26 February, Louisville KY

I want to thank all of you guys for the updates, it has been great reading from Down her in Australia :thumbsup: I look forward to any images to follow once the dust has cleared and everyone has had a chance to catch their breath.

We have Militaria Fairs here in AUS but nothing on the scale of the SOS.

I have started the initial planning phase for my proposed trip over for next years show. So, when it gets closer to the date (and by God it cannot come quick enough :w00t: but hey whats 12 months :blink: ) I was wondering if I could gets some guidance about the logistics of it all. I reckon I have to do this before my time is up ;)

I am glad all had a blast...and with any luck you will have an Aussie in the mix next year.

Cheers

Sean

OIF 04-05 AUSSIE VET

20 years experience in BUYING and SELLING Militaria

Collecting and Researching ALL THINGS 1st and 2nd MARDIV '39 -'45

1st MARDIV activity in Australia post Guadalcanal and Australian Manufacturers contracted to supply clothing and equipment for the refit.

2nd MARDIV involvement on Guadalcanal and 'Bloody' Tarawa

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One more thing half the tables I stoped by the seller was out shopping himself. Guys if you are there to sell stay at your table. You can't sell anything if your not there I would have spent twice as much money if the sellers would have been there. But I understand I couldn't set there all day myself I would be out looking around to.

To add to that, You get in at 12:30 and start toward the back or front (whatever your plan is) and you get 2/3rd's of the way through and the sellers have covered up some tables. Gheese we are in the room and just havent gotten there yet. There are some of us who try to get through as much as possible and dont leave until they throw us out the first day. Plus, like you said above, some people are out shopping and no way to find them. After waiting for a few minutes, I just move on and then later after CRS (Can't remember ____) sets in, I don't remember where they were. So they lose a potential sale. just my rant and 2 cents.

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif
donation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Had a great day at the SOS yesterday...worth every minute of the 10 hour round trip of driving. It was great meeting forum members Mr. Jerry, wildcat123, tigerfan, vintageproductions, Garth Thompson and AllenH for the first time! Blitzkrieg gsd, was that you that me and RMichael talked to at the insignia table? Had a blast spending some time with RMichael and Got da Penny during the day. First class individuals, all!

I was disappointed at the lack of 15th AAF uniforms I found at the show. Mr. Jerry had a great 15th AAF grouping that belonged to an airman that was KIA that included an A2 Jacket. However, I couldn't talk him into giving me a $3100 Forum discount, so I had to pass! ;) But you couldn't swing a dead cat without hitting an 8th AAF uniform!

After making a failed offer on medal grouping belonging to 2 brothers (one in the 15th AAF and one in the 20th AAF), I ended up buying a small document grouping that belonged to a Tennessee airman who was KIA. I was very pleased with the purchase. I really wanted the medal grouping but thought it was overpriced. The seller and I got to within $50 but couldn't get any closer so I walked away (with the help of RMichael). Being my second SoS, I wasn't as wide-eyed and overwhelmed by everything. I've narrowed my collecting focus quite a bit over the last year and because of that I was able to be more disciplined with my buying and still had a great time! I've got a few pictures but it will be tomorrow evening or Monday evening before I can post them.

And about those General uniforms that are priced higher than a Georgia pine...was that table the one from the folks from the Tank Museum in Danville, VA? I saw they had a table but didn't know that was them. They sure are proud of those uniforms, aren't they? LOL

Kevin

Have you ever noticed that people who are brutally honest seem to take more pleasure from the brutality than from the honesty?

donation2010.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

..........Mr. Jerry had a great 15th AAF grouping that belonged to an airman that was KIA that included an A2 Jacket. However, I couldn't talk him into giving me a $3100 Forum discount, so I had to pass!.......... Kevin

Hey Kevin,

I know the feeling :( ......and they call themselves, "Brother Members"!! :rolleyes:

**PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER HAS SADLY PASSED AWAY**

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/301020-robin-ray/

Hey Kevin,

I know the feeling :( ......and they call themselves, "Brother Members"!! :rolleyes:

Ain't that the truth, JS? I mean, it wasn't like I as asking him to GIVE me the grouping! :D

Have you ever noticed that people who are brutally honest seem to take more pleasure from the brutality than from the honesty?

donation2010.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

Kevin that was me alright it was nice to meet you and RMichael. I had plans to stop by other members of the forums tables even wrote down there table locations. But as soon as I left you and RMichael I went into search mode and that was that LOL. So sorry guys I didn't stop by and say hello like I said I would I just got overwhelmed. But overall I had a great time and can't wait to get back next yr. Just think next yr is going to be even bigger. Hope you guys all made it home safe and those of you who still haven't left drive safe and thanks for visiting are little city and hope you come again next yr.

Sean,

If you are a good planner and have some luck, you can probably fly in into the Louisville, KY airport [sDF] after a connecting flight in DC or Atlanta.

Find a hotel that will pick you up at the airport. I even saw a shuttle bus at the SOS from one of the hotels so you may not even need a rental car.

If you going to get a rental car you can probably get a hotel in Clarksville, IN which is just across the Ohio River from Louisville, KY. It will save some hotel money which you can spend at the SOS. Lots of restraunts in Clarksville, IN. There is a decent Hampton Inn.

About every type of restaraunt you can think of is with a mile radius. Two or three steak places.

There are people from all over the world at the SOS. You will hear many different languages being spoken.

You will not be the only Aussie there.

They usually have the big gun show there too the same weekend. Probably not a good idea to buy one and take with you back on the plane though.

Well another SOS show is over, Had a great Time meet some guys from the forum,Now I can put a face on there forum name. Sold a lot of things and bought 2 marine purple heart groups . For Marine and navy purple hearts there where very few there to look at sorry to say. I saw 3 marine hearts and bought 2 of them. Would like to here some feed back from others.It was a great show .

Nick

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Collecting Marine Raider Groups

On the battlefield, Pfc Edward Ahrens, an Able Company BAR man, lay dying, soaked in his own blood.

As his company commander, Lew Walt cradled him in his arms, he surveyed the scene around them. Nearby lay a Japanese officer, a sergeant, and thirteen enlisted men, all dead. Ahrens had been shot twice in the chest and bayoneted three times. He whispered to Walt, "Captain, they tried to come over me last night, but I don't think they made it." Choking back tears, Walt replied softly, "They didn't, Eddy. They didn't."

Did anybody take any Photos at the SOS that they would like to share here on the Forum??

:think:

Here are few I took with my phone.

Bryan

da20e092.jpg

1b447788.jpg

3652f911.jpg

Army 2-piece Normandy camo set.

7f748b8a.jpg

USMC first pattern camo set, ID'd & nice!

9dd3591a.jpg

Helmet with officer's "follow me" bar

c4f0da38.jpg

“There's not much I can tell you about this war. It's like all wars, I guess.The undertakers are winning.The politicians who talk about the glory of it.The old men who talk about the need of it.The soldiers, well, they just wanna go home.” Jimmy Stewart in Shenandoah

donation2007.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

Next is we had the pleasure to meet Bob Chatt aka vintageproductions, aka "the combat cash guy" He was SUPER nice and we chatted for about 20 or 30 minutes. He chuckled when I asked him for a picture, but said "sure"

IMG_0623.jpg

Im on the right and my Dad aka "my partner in crime" is in the middle

and finally my buys:

I didnt spend a terrible abount of money but I am happy with my purchases:

IMG_0628.jpg

From bottom left: Repro Garand belt and REALLY WELL DONE repro WW2 grenades for reenacting, a field manual for the 1917 water cooled machine gun, 1940 field manual for hand grenades, a box of CO2 cannisters for the 1926 lifebelt, USMC 1944 30 round thompson pouch, NAMED USMC leggings (for $10!!!!) , relic US helmet dug up in France (for $20 I just couldnt say no. Its just WAY too cool) and a USMC HBT top NAMED from the 4th Marine Division. (for only $80!!!! :w00t: ) I think I did pretty good!

Not pictured are my Dad's finds:

1942 field manual for shotguns, 1940 field manual for military watches, compasses, and stop watches, a -3 garand op rod, MINT 1918 first aid kit and MINT pouch ($60!!), and his large finds: Plastic Ethocel canteen dated 1943 (saw only 3 in the whole show and they were ALL gone the next day), in a criss cross no drain hole USMC cover and a WW1 cup for $150, and from the same dealer a USMC porcelain canteen with like 2 chips for $20!!!!! :w00t: :w00t:

Here are few I took with my phone.

Bryan

USMC first pattern camo set, ID'd & nice!

9dd3591a.jpg

Nice original P42! Do you know the price out of curiosity?

Great pictures guys, thanks for posting :thumbsup:

Will

WWII USMC & USN - CAMOUFLAGE / CORPSMAN / PARAMARINE / MARINE RAIDER / DENIM / DECK JACKETS.

VIETNAM - CAMOUFLAGE / SF / 'IN-COUNTRY' ITEMS.

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

Here is a photo of me and Dave at the show,The big buyers.

post-421-1330269133.jpg

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

On the battlefield, Pfc Edward Ahrens, an Able Company BAR man, lay dying, soaked in his own blood.

As his company commander, Lew Walt cradled him in his arms, he surveyed the scene around them. Nearby lay a Japanese officer, a sergeant, and thirteen enlisted men, all dead. Ahrens had been shot twice in the chest and bayoneted three times. He whispered to Walt, "Captain, they tried to come over me last night, but I don't think they made it." Choking back tears, Walt replied softly, "They didn't, Eddy. They didn't."

another show shot

post-421-1330269199.jpg

Whew! What a show. I was finally able to meet 1Canpara, Rick. 1st class guy. Nice to meet you Rick! Also pal'd around with Zotig and SgtDorango, fun guys all. Thanks again you two for your generosity. Bought a few more helmets and liners for the BUILD A POT section. Check my listings there this afternoon. I probably have a liner from every MFG for sale. Also bought a sweet Hawley first pattern liner so I'll have a near unissued one of those for sale as well. Complete with still attached leather chin strap and buckle.

More later, with some pics I hope.

Mark

Looking for for 37th Division

VietNam and earlier Special Forces &

USS Hemminger DE 746 items

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

See my FB sales page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1928884587130681/pending/

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

Nice original P42! Do you know the price out of curiosity?

Great pictures guys, thanks for posting :thumbsup:

Will

Sending PM.

“There's not much I can tell you about this war. It's like all wars, I guess.The undertakers are winning.The politicians who talk about the glory of it.The old men who talk about the need of it.The soldiers, well, they just wanna go home.” Jimmy Stewart in Shenandoah

donation2007.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

Well another SOS come and gone. I have attended everyone since the old Drawbridge days. Always a good time. tons of stuff, prices all over the board but mainly high. Some people with the same stuff in some cases which has not sold yet but the price keeps going up $500 at each show. Oh well inflation I suppose

If you really concentrate and look there a great items at reasonable prices and most dealers will work with you.. For the most part everyone is real freindly however their is always those people who take the hobby way to seriously. As for me it is just fun and time away from work. Probably walked the show 4 times starting at around 11AM on Thursday. By Saturday afternoon my level of concentration had dwindled and I just wandered about for one last look. Sensory overload.

I sublet a table from a buddy of mine and sold around $1000 worth of odds and ends which I in turn dump back into my purchases at the show. Found some nice foreign insignia and a post WW1 U.S First Cav uniform with insignia and named. Actually that came by my table at one of the few times I sat down. Myself and the other fellow worked a trade and some cash. I always keep my eye open for unusual trench art and this show proved fruitful in that category.

Plenty of TR stuff if that is your thing. A large number of foreign dealers and buyers.

Thank heavens for the Kentucky Pork Producers booth out in the lobby. The food inside the show is poor and expensive. Was going to hit the gun show on Saturday but did not want to stand in line, I was getting lazy by that point.

The organizers very actively enforced the no tear down before 3PM on Saturday. However at 3:01PM could could hear a collective thud of cases hitting the loading carts. it is a long show for those dealers who have to travel more than a day to get there. By Saturday afternoon they are ready to go.

If you have never attended an SOS you have got to go at least once because seeing is believing and this is one monster of a show.

donation2017.gif

Well another SOS show is over, Had a great Time meet some guys from the forum,Now I can put a face on there forum name. Sold a lot of things and bought 2 marine purple heart groups . For Marine and navy purple hearts there where very few there to look at sorry to say. I saw 3 marine hearts and bought 2 of them. Would like to here some feed back from others.It was a great show .

Nick

I saw three marine hearts all on one of our forum members table...If I had more cash I would have bought them... don't remember seeing a single navy purple heart

Pete

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif
donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

!!!!! Wanted!!!!!!!

USMC Chosin Reservoir Medal Groups

Cross Groupings: Distinguished Service Cross, Navy Cross, and Distinguished Flying Cross Medal Groups

I had a good time at the SOS and met up with old friends and met some other forum members for the first time like Allan H and GIKyle.

I had a good SOS. I bought a huge POW trunk group to an American from the 35th Div who was captured at St. Lo in July 1944. TONS of stuff, So much I had to mail the trunk home. I took the good stuff home on the plane. It has all his paperwork, medals, POW tags from 2 camps, US tags, Wartime Log POW diary , POW mail, uniforms , his POW spoon , POW sweater from the RC , POW bible , his German canteen ( a WWI canteen at that) and tons more.

I also found the medals to the commander of the 60th CA on Corregidor , Col. Thomas Chase . Got his LOM and PH with some original paperwork ETC. I will be taking some pics of this group soon.

Kurt

!!!! WANTED !!!!

WWII Prisoner of War items : Medals, Mail, Diaries, Photos, Documents, Scrapbooks + More

WWII Naval Aviation Groupings : Medals, Documents, Scrapbooks, Photos, Flight Logs, Flight Jackets + More

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

So, would it be a waste of time to take only a couple hundred dollars? I might not be in the appropraite socioeconomic group for that joint...

up

Looking for the following:

452nd and 447th Bomb Group items

Anything 12th Armored- especially uniforms

155th Assault Helicopter Company, Camp Coryell, or Ban Me Thuot Vietnam items[/center]

WWII US Navy Uniforms from the Battle Off Samar: USS Johnston DD-557, USS Hoel DD-553, USS Samuel B. Roberts DE-413, USS Heermann DD-532, USS Dennis DE-405, USS John C. Butler DE-339, USS Raymond DE-341, USS Fanshaw Bay St. Lo, White Plains, Kalinin Bay, Kitkun Bay and Gambier Bay...

donation2011.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2019.gif