2012 Show of Shows, 23-26 February, Louisville KY

zotig111

Only 7 more weeks to the 2012 SOS! If you couldn't tell, I am not too excited about this year's show. It should be a good time. I am looking forward to seeing sgt dorango, 37thguy, hooviedude, bugme, mr.jerry, tarbridge, kammoman, vintageproductions, and even the non-forum members there. If you haven't been, you'll wonder why everyone is so looking forward to the show. If you have been there before, you know what the excitement is about. I only hope that I can build up the funds that I had last year to spend. It never seems like there is enough hobby fund to go around at SOS-time. This year, my 2011 bonus will be burning a hole in my pocket!

I'll be bringing a few newbies to the show with me if everything works out right. If you want to be a militaria "pusher", you have to keep getting a steady stream of users collectors hooked... ;)

See you there,

Tom K

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it was a good thing my wife changed our Disney plans to accommodate my SOS trip because my company put our annual training on the same dates! ::sigh:: I love my company, but no SoS for me this year... :crying:

blitzkrieg gsd

That sucks Dave I was looking forward to meeting you. And I wanted you to check out my uncles KIA PH. Well im sure you will be there next yr we will do it then.

WOW!! I always thought the SoS WAS the gunshow! :lol:

I always heard people say how good it is and I could never figure out why. So i guess this year will be my 1st SoS. Of course I have to work on Saturday and can only go on Sunday. :pinch:

Garth Thompson
WOW!! I always thought the SoS WAS the gunshow! :lol:

I always heard people say how good it is and I could never figure out why. So i guess this year will be my 1st SoS. Of course I have to work on Saturday and can only go on Sunday. :pinch:

Don't be to disappointed, Sunday is really a take down day for the remaining sellers who didn't leave Saturday afternoon. Probably 60% to 70% will be gone by Saturday closing time.

Garth

**PLEASE NOTE: THIS COMMUNITY MEMBER HAS SADLY PASSED AWAY**

blitzkrieg gsd
Don't be to disappointed, Sunday is really a take down day for the remaining sellers who didn't leave Saturday afternoon. Probably 60% to 70% will be gone by Saturday closing time.

Garth

Sunday is also the day you find guys who will give you a good deal cause they don't want to take it home. So if you have some common stuff you need it may be the best day to get it. After all its your last chance till next yr. So come on up on Sunday you will be glad you did and the big gun show is next door to.

The only thing i'm really looking for is a nice lensatic compass, and hopefully a Remington Rand 1911 slide from next door. I'm so excited!

blitzkrieg gsd

Im getting excited now myself guys time to start collecting my pocket change lol. This being the last yr with the car show and big gun show on same weekend. The car show was my way of getting my lady to go with me. Get this she says she wants to go to the SOS with me this yr can you believe that! So I don't have to rush to make sure she's not waiting at the hair salon all day like last yr. Should be great and remember if any of you guys need any info on the city just ask me. Born and raised rite down the road from the Ky fair and expo center. I have stayed in all the hotels and ate in all the good spots so if you need a recommendation im your guy. Make sure you bring all your good stuff to sell this yr guys. Last yr I figured with the economy in the dumps no one would be spending big bucks. Well I was WRONG about that so don't use that logic. See you guys there hope the weather stays nice for the drive for you out of town guys we will see.

I'm looking forward to this! I made my reservations today. I haven't been able to make it in about six years, this year I decided I was going no matter what. It looks like I'll be bringing at least 2 gals with me who have never been to a show like this before.

-Sarah

blitzkrieg gsd
I'm looking forward to this! I made my reservations today. I haven't been able to make it in about six years, this year I decided I was going no matter what. It looks like I'll be bringing at least 2 gals with me who have never been to a show like this before.

-Sarah

Sarah how funny because I was joking with my fiance' today I told her I was bringing one of the rarest items to the SOS that's my other half. Im so lucky she puts up with this hobby and my problem lol. Guess im just a lucky guy on that front. You gals will have a great time for sure and I have a feeling you mite get some good deals to. Matter of fact tell me what day you lady's are going to be there so I can plan to go the day before lol. That way I can at least see all the good stuff you lady's will be able to buy for half price. Surely by then all the guys with tables will be happy to talk to some ladys and get the smell of old spice out of there nose for a minute.

See you there

• 3 weeks later...
Only 7 more weeks to the 2012 SOS! If you couldn't tell, I am not too excited about this year's show. It should be a good time. I am looking forward to seeing sgt dorango, 37thguy, hooviedude, bugme, mr.jerry, tarbridge, kammoman, vintageproductions, and even the non-forum members there. If you haven't been, you'll wonder why everyone is so looking forward to the show. If you have been there before, you know what the excitement is about. I only hope that I can build up the funds that I had last year to spend. It never seems like there is enough hobby fund to go around at SOS-time. This year, my 2011 bonus will be burning a hole in my pocket!

I'll be bringing a few newbies to the show with me if everything works out right. If you want to be a militaria "pusher", you have to keep getting a steady stream of users collectors hooked... ;)

See you there,

Tom K

Tom,

This is so true. Many of us forget that to sustain the hobby, we need to backfill behind us with the future collectors of tomorrow. My 2 sons (5 & 7 years old) are already patch collectors (by their own choice) - so I've contributed to the fray!

See you there! Can't wait!

Steve

I plan to be at the SOS again this year. I have had the same spot for several years located at M1-6 (block of six). For the past four years on Saturday I have had a 1/2 price sale on two of my tables and it has been a big hit. I have a lot of "stuff" once again including clothing, hats, helmets, field gear related, some groups, smalls, etc., etc..

For those who haven't been to the SOS before be prepared. You will walk in the door and instantly be overwhelmd as it looks like a sea of militaria. Even though I have been on the table setup crew for many years and get to see it from an empty hall transformed in to a large show I am still in awe. If you see something that interests you and have to give some thought about buying, write down the row and table number. It is very easy to get turned around and loose track of where you saw the item. Every year people will come to me asking if I had so and so because they couldn't remember where they were. It is also very easy to skip entire rows ( I have done this ). You will spot something two rows over and cut through and not come back to the row you missed. Anyway just a few thoughts.

I will be set up at the show from Thursday morning until Saturday afternoon.

See you there ! :thumbsup:

For those who haven't been to the SOS before be prepared. You will walk in the door and instantly be overwhelmd as it looks like a sea of militaria. Even though I have been on the table setup crew for many years and get to see it from an empty hall transformed in to a large show I am still in awe. If you see something that interests you and have to give some thought about buying, write down the row and table number. It is very easy to get turned around and loose track of where you saw the item. Every year people will come to me asking if I had so and so because they couldn't remember where they were. It is also very easy to skip entire rows ( I have done this ). You will spot something two rows over and cut through and not come back to the row you missed. Anyway just a few thoughts.

That is great advice, tigerfan. I believe it was you that offered the same advice last year. It was my first SoS and I brought along a field book to take notes in because of your suggestion. And I agree that if this is your first time, you will be amazed! I made one complete pass through the hall, making notes of all the items that I was seriously considering buying (item, price, location, etc). Then after I'd made a pass through the show, I doubled back to where those items were to make my final choice. Of course, about half the items on my list had already sold! Without taking notes, I would have been unable to get back to most of those items. And if anyone who hasn't been thinks there's no way you can miss an entire row...beware! Just like tigerfan said, something will catch your eye and you can be turned around in no time!

Note that it took me hours to make a pass through the show, and I was moving fairly quick because I was only there one day. It's not an exaggeration that half the items on my list were gone by the time I got back to them. So if you see something you really, REALLY can't live without...get it. Or at least be okay with knowing it might not be there if you decide to come back for it.

Hope to see a lot of you there on Friday!

Kevin

If I might add:

Wear comfortable shoes. The floors are concrete, and after a day of marching up and down the aisles, you will be glad you did.

Bring a convenient bag to carry your loot. More items are lost forever because someone says "I want that, but I will buy it on my way out so I don't have to carry it with me for the whole show." Either they can't find it again, or more often - somebody else bought it.

If you see it, and you want it - BUY it. (especially on my tables)

After you have walked the entire show one way, turn around and walk it again in the opposite direction. You'll be amazed what you missed the first time.

Bring lots of cash. ATM's in the area are sucked dry pretty quick. In the past this was especially true when the Russians were coming over and buying like crazy.

Pack your shorts, Hawaiian shirts, and sun screen as well as your thermal suit, parka, and ice scraper. It is late February in KY. Anything could happen!

Speaking of anything can happen - I know that many shun the nicer hotels close to the exhibit hall in favor of saving a few $$ at the cheaper places down the street. Be aware that some of these are in an area vulnerable to flooding. I vividly remember cutting up towels in our room at 'The Dirty Dutchman' so that we could sling all our gear for a one-shot escape attempt through belly-button high floodwater one year. Absolutely epic Show-of-Shows adventure, but not one that I would ever want to repeat!!

See you guys at the show! Be sure to stop by our tables and introduce yourself. You can't miss the big 3 foot diameter "AGM" collar disc sign.

SOS_AGM.jpg

Raidercollector

Is someone making up USMF badges again this year so we can see who's who?

Jerry just where your green bay helmet

That is great advice, tigerfan. I believe it was you that offered the same advice last year. It was my first SoS and I brought along a field book to take notes in because of your suggestion. And I agree that if this is your first time, you will be amazed! I made one complete pass through the hall, making notes of all the items that I was seriously considering buying (item, price, location, etc). Then after I'd made a pass through the show, I doubled back to where those items were to make my final choice. Of course, about half the items on my list had already sold! Without taking notes, I would have been unable to get back to most of those items. And if anyone who hasn't been thinks there's no way you can miss an entire row...beware! Just like tigerfan said, something will catch your eye and you can be turned around in no time!

Note that it took me hours to make a pass through the show, and I was moving fairly quick because I was only there one day. It's not an exaggeration that half the items on my list were gone by the time I got back to them. So if you see something you really, REALLY can't live without...get it. Or at least be okay with knowing it might not be there if you decide to come back for it.

Hope to see a lot of you there on Friday!

Kevin

Kevin the Show program has a table guide and a list of all the vendors and their locations. It also has a section for notes and such so you can remember where you saw something. It's very convenient and another reason the OVMS is the premier Military Collectors Club on the planet...and the SOS such a great show. I learned so many hard lessons in the early years that I came to the show....this will be my 15th year in a row to attend and set up. I passed on so many cool pieces only to find them gone when I went back. Now if I really want it, I don't care if the show is 5 minutes old....I buy it right then!!! Getting Close! Getting anxious! Getting ready!!!

Kevin the Show program has a table guide and a list of all the vendors and their locations. It also has a section for notes and such so you can remember where you saw something. It's very convenient and another reason the OVMS is the premier Military Collectors Club on the planet...and the SOS such a great show. I learned so many hard lessons in the early years that I came to the show....this will be my 15th year in a row to attend and set up. I passed on so many cool pieces only to find them gone when I went back. Now if I really want it, I don't care if the show is 5 minutes old....I buy it right then!!! Getting Close! Getting anxious! Getting ready!!!

Hi Ronnie! Yep, I noticed the table/vendor guide in the program last year and I agree it's a great addition! I just find it easier to carry an engineering field book to make notes in as it fits easily in my back pocket. I can note the row/table and item description without fumbling through the program. Just a personal preference. ;) Going for the first time last year was a bit overwhelming (in a good way!). I agree that it's best to buy whenever you see something you can't live without...otherwise you'll find yourself living without it!

Less than two weeks now! :thumbsup:

pathfinder505

If Anna finds out she is in that picture, there may be a big AGM yard sale right after a funeral.

If I might add:

Wear comfortable shoes. The floors are concrete, and after a day of marching up and down the aisles, you will be glad you did.

Bring a convenient bag to carry your loot. More items are lost forever because someone says "I want that, but I will buy it on my way out so I don't have to carry it with me for the whole show." Either they can't find it again, or more often - somebody else bought it.

If you see it, and you want it - BUY it. (especially on my tables)

After you have walked the entire show one way, turn around and walk it again in the opposite direction. You'll be amazed what you missed the first time.

Bring lots of cash. ATM's in the area are sucked dry pretty quick. In the past this was especially true when the Russians were coming over and buying like crazy.

Pack your shorts, Hawaiian shirts, and sun screen as well as your thermal suit, parka, and ice scraper. It is late February in KY. Anything could happen!

Speaking of anything can happen - I know that many shun the nicer hotels close to the exhibit hall in favor of saving a few $$ at the cheaper places down the street. Be aware that some of these are in an area vulnerable to flooding. I vividly remember cutting up towels in our room at 'The Dirty Dutchman' so that we could sling all our gear for a one-shot escape attempt through belly-button high floodwater one year. Absolutely epic Show-of-Shows adventure, but not one that I would ever want to repeat!!

See you guys at the show! Be sure to stop by our tables and introduce yourself. You can't miss the big 3 foot diameter "AGM" collar disc sign.

SOS_AGM.jpg

I have already been thinking about the SOS in febuary looks like the dates will be 23-26. Last yr I didn't make it out till Saturday this yr I want to get there on friday maybe have a better chance of finding the good stuff. Last yr was great but they had a gun show and the big car show going the same weekend so it was crowded. It will probley be same this yr that's why im planning on going Friday beat the crowds. Im all ready geting excited I plan on holding on to all my extra cash after christmas to spend there. So dealers get your good stuff out I will be in a buying mood. It can't get here soon enough for me see you guys there.

Won't make it again this year. I have to be in Hawaii during those dates.

And this is in KY? :w00t: I might have to gently hint to my father that I want to go. I could actually manage it, seeing as I live only a few hours from there!

pathfinder505
And this is in KY? :w00t: I might have to gently hint to my father that I want to go. I could actually manage it, seeing as I live only a few hours from there!

If you live that close, you have no excuse and you will not regret it for a moment.

Right click on this image and print it, cut it out and it should fit in one those plastic convention badge holders:

post-1726-1262986239.jpg