SHORT M56 Pouch M16A1? - KOREAN

jimmyhanklane

jimmyhanklane

Alrighty then, what did I get into here? Impulse buy- probably paid too much but whats the fun without a little risk right? Looks like an early variation of the M16A1 shorty. Faded markings on the front scare me a little but I'm sure its no knock off. The auction just closed so I havent recieved it yet. I'm dieing to get inside it to check the DSA code. Could be USAF security police? The M1910 hanger on the back was the clencher for me, had to have it. Looks like the Alice clips go on either side of the hanger. Its my first shorty, hope shes legit.

post-7554-1329535750.jpg

i'm pretty sure it's not U.S. issue...that faded marking looks like it might be possible South Korean military ?...i've seen that marking on S.korean buttpacks and nylon copys of M-45 field packs....but i could be wrong,good luck...vince g. 11B Inf...

craig_pickrall

I agree with 11b plus the US version has M56 slide keepers rather than M1910 belt hooks on the back.

however - quite interesting! I guess they are harder to find that the US version but have by far not the same collectible value.

I have a M-1956 "style" Davis Belt with the same markings on the buckle. I´ll dig it out in the days to come.

Korean military marking.

Correct, ROK Armed Forces. They also issued a "full-size" universal small arms ammunition case, which pop up on ePay from time to time...usually labeled "experimental", "prototype", or other nonsense. Watch out for the ROK M-1945-type suspenders...they differ slightly from the US version also...and usually get labeled as "experimental" (much like the Greek M-1956 stuff).

jimmyhanklane

Yup- figures. When you shoot from the hip you seldom hit your target. Looks like I'm still lookin for a couple shorties. Thanks fellas, knew it was questionable from the git go...

craig_pickrall
however - quite interesting! I guess they are harder to find that the US version but have by far not the same collectible value.

I have a M-1956 "style" Davis Belt with the same markings on the buckle. I´ll dig it out in the days to come.

Is this the design you mention? If so this is just the Davis logo and has nothing to do with Korea.

post-5-1329579227.jpg

post-5-1329579235.jpg

Would these Short M16 Magazine ROK pouches have been worn in the late 60s, early 70s by ROK forces in South Vietnam ? they had the M16 Rifle by then, right ?

Would these Short M16 Magazine ROK pouches have been worn in the late 60s, early 70s by ROK forces in South Vietnam ? they had the M16 Rifle by then, right ?

I believe they are going to be "post-war". Most of the equipment used by ROK Armed Forces in Vietnam was US-supplied. Below is a good image of an ROK Marine in Vietnam equipped with US-supplied M-1956 individual equipments (you can just make out the US epitaph on the small arms ammunition cases). The image is from Vietnam Veterans Of Korea, a good Korean-language (it is also in English) website with lots of images of ROK Marines in Vietnam.

post-3045-1329599201.jpg

No, I know the DAVIS logo very well. ;) I have a couple of umissued buckles

I have a belt with a clear ROK or South Korean Army logo as shown on the above ammo pouch. I´ll dig it out and post pictures in the day to come.

I believe they are going to be "post-war". Most of the equipment used by ROK Armed Forces in Vietnam was US-supplied. Below is a good image of an ROK Marine in Vietnam equipped with US-supplied M-1956 individual equipments (you can just make out the US epitaph on the small arms ammunition cases). The image is from Vietnam Veterans Of Korea, a good Korean-language (it is also in English) website with lots of images of ROK Marines in Vietnam.

post-3045-1329599201.jpg

You can also see that this Mean looking ROK Marine has a few epitaphs he would like to make for Charlie :lol:

Thanks for info, a 1970s post Vietnam worn item, CHECK.

Is this the design you mention? If so this is just the Davis logo and has nothing to do with Korea.

here we go...

ROK Davis Pistol Belt ;)

post-5069-1329673433.jpg

post-5069-1329673470.jpg

No, I know the DAVIS logo very well. ;) I have a couple of umissued buckles

I have a belt with a clear ROK or South Korean Army logo as shown on the above ammo pouch. I´ll dig it out and post pictures in the day to come.

Now that I´ve bee digging, I also found the buckles

post-5069-1329673978.jpg

Would you be interested in selling?

No - I´m sorry!

I´ll keep them for the next 20 years and then sell them to rise my pension or to buy me a PBR boat or a half track or a P38 Lightning ;)

Just for my interest - how much would you pay for them?

Came across this ePay auction:

Vintage Antique Ammo Pouches Military Surplus Lot of (2) M1 Carbine Korean War

It is the "full-size" ROK M-1956-style universal small arms ammunition case. It is in rough shape, but shows how they differ from the US-version. Might be something collectors need to see so they do not get duped into buying one being sold as "experimental" or "prototype".

asianairborne
No - I´m sorry!

I´ll keep them for the next 20 years and then sell them to rise my pension or to buy me a PBR boat or a half track or a P38 Lightning ;)

Just for my interest - how much would you pay for them?

Ahh, I dont know. Maybe $15 to $25. Depends on the date. I paid $18 for the '69 dated davis belt thats in my collection. The Nylon version of course.

• 2 years later...