NNC (Navy Nursing Corps)

US Victory Museum

US Victory Museum

One of the NNC uniforms we display. This uniform was typically worn with a white dickey and black oxford shoes.

In the photos to follow I show two types of NNC hat: the standard insignia, as well as a bullion sewn insignia.

All the NNC uniforms I have are second pattern (1944); the first pattern didn't have the sleeve insignia, but instead

used gold coloured metal collar insignia of the same design. I still lack purses, but have been looking for them on

Ebay regularly. They appear from time to time, but are pricey and appear just when I've purchased something else

quite expensive.

P.S.

I looked at the pictures and see spots on the uniform; however, when I look at the uniform in normal light and black

light I don't see any signs of spots or staining. It's an artifact and probably due to my using an incorrect setting on

the camera.

post-1529-1198425807.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Lacking a mannekin, here's a picture of my NNC Hospital Dress. ^_^

Don't mind the shoes, they are not WWII vintage :lol:

post-272-1200258856.jpg

The ward or indoor work uniform consisted of a white hospital dress, the white nurse’s cap, white stockings and white oxford shoes with rubber soles.

The hospital dress made of starched cotton twill was closed by detachable white pearl buttons. It was worn with a detachable belt of the same material. The dress had a small breast patch pocket on the left side and a big patch pocket on the right side of the skirt. The cuffs were closed with cuff links. A pair of big Navy Nurse Corps insignia were worn on the collar.

post-272-1200258871.jpg

Currently on Ebay:

post-272-1200258919.jpg

Later, in the spring of 1944, the NNC insignia were replaced by a miniature pin-on rank insignia worn on the right collar side and the new miniature corps insignia (without the NNC letters) worn on the left. Additionally, in May 1944, the white stockings were replaced by beige stockings.

Thelater pattern of this dress had three more buttons on the lower part of the skirt. This allowed the dress to open all the way down.

Best regards

Sofie

Lacking a mannekin, here's a picture of my NNC Hospital Dress. ^_^

Don't mind the shoes, they are not WWII vintage :lol:

(Snipped)

Best regards

Sofie

I lucked into the ward dress and FINALLY found the cap. What shoes should go with them?

Tom thumbsup.gif

The right shoes for a NNC Hospital Dress are white Oxford shoes with a rubber sole.

The rubber heels were prescribed because they made less noise while walking on the floor and therefore avoided unnecessary disturbance of patients.

post-272-1200294933.jpg

Although the heel height of the pumps could not officially exceed two inches and needed to be plain, wartime photographs are evidence that many women actually wore shoes having higher heels, decorative styles and even perforations.

Because leather was rationed and shoes became scarce during wartime, the regulations governing footwear were not enforced strictly - especially regarding the dress pumps.

For example, the shoes shown in the picture on the right belonged to a Navy Nurse who served during WWII. They have perforations and higher heels than authorized.

(Source: www.blitzkriegbaby.de)

The caps to go with these dresses are hard to find. Still searching for one myself thumbsup.gif

Sofie

• 5 years later...