An old picture with a lot of oddities

Fausto

Hi !

I was looking at a nice and old thread posted by Frankie years ago and I noticed this fine picture dated c.1915.

Well: I found in it a lot of interesting things and oddities. A couple of guys wear standard M1903 suspenders, while a couple (standing row, center) wear "split" M1903 by Russel. Ok. Three guys wear no suspenders at all, while the man on the right (standing row) has a single suspender... A half M1917 suspender? No, if we are in 1915... More: the guy on the left, the tall one with his belt on his torso seems to wear a rare "clipped corners" FA, while two other guys have the squared corners ones. All these FA pouches are empty... or they could be Medic pouches?

The oddity: at least four guys wear .45 magazines pouches while sporting their rifles... Cavalry? Mmmmm... And please note that them all have the .45 mag. pouches on the right side of their belts instead on the left side...

I would appreciate your opinion...

Fausto

post-8381-1329387136.jpg

Reg, at first I was thinking the same thing, but then I noticed the right side of the bolt on rifles. The picture is ok...

Fausto

I remember reading somewhere that this is a picture of National guard/state guard troops. Is that true? That would explain the use of the older equipment and the lack of uniformity in use.

Might be a 1907 aid pouch in there.

The single suspender could be a mills canteen strap?