All I wanted was a canteen & a local medal

RDUNE

I went to the antique mall today to pick up a WWI canteen that I've been eyeing, then decided to wander around a bit. I picked up the WWI helmet, the plastic canteen dated 1965, the box full of uniform buttons, the desrt storm pin, and the photos of the lovely ladies. My next stop was a local junk shop to pick up a medal I've been hunting for a long time. The guy had a medal that was given to WWI veterans in Roanoke, va (my hometown). I've only seen 3 of these, two in a museum and then this one. I told him a couple weeks ago that I'd come back on payday, and he agreed to hold it for me. Well I went in today to pick up the medal and he had sold it. I was ticked and I let him know it. He made me a reasonable deal on the patches, purple heart, pilot photo, medals, ribbon bar, dog tags, and AAF insignia. I didnt pay the dog tags much attention because they were a 'throw-in' but when I got home I realized they are the novelty tags that every kid gets when they go to the Smithsonian...

All things considered it was a good day though. My search for the elusive local medal continues, I got some decent stuff, and I'm actually really excited about the desert storm pin. I had one just like it on my backpack in 1st grade that was really imortant to me for reasons I dont fully remember.

Thoughts and opinions are appreciated :D

-Ryan

weds1.jpg

weds2.jpg

weds3.jpg

weds4.jpg

Nice finds.

I got the same Desert Storm pin. :)

Erwin

Correction: After going to look for it, I saw it has "Desert Shield" on it and not "Desert Storm".

Although the dealer disappointed you - looks like you still had a productive day! Nice finds - was the PH Marked?

Nope, no markings on the PH. He said he has a named one 'somewhere' but I'm not holding my breath.