WW-II MESS KIT IDENTIFICATION

coldwarrior-79-92

coldwarrior-79-92

Hello...I'm trying to identify the maker's mark on this WW-II mess kit. It's dated 1942...but has a symbol instead of the manufacturer.

post-74846-1329251341.jpg

I own one of these mess kits marked like this, but I don't know the maker either.

It a nice mark that stands out from the other mess kits,

Leonardo

I believe that maker mark stands for OWENS-ILLINOIS if the notes on a canteen cup marked just like your mess kit are correct. I'm not quite sure how I determined that, but......

Your kit looks like one of the non-stainless steel variations that were tried in 1942. It appears to have been galvanized.

Welcome aboard.

Terry ("Bagman")

coldwarrior-79-92
I believe that maker mark stands for OWENS-ILLINOIS if the notes on a canteen cup marked just like your mess kit are correct. I'm not quite sure how I determined that, but......

Your kit looks like one of the non-stainless steel variations that were tried in 1942. It appears to have been galvanized.

Welcome aboard.

Terry ("Bagman")

Thank you for the information. I too thought it was the galvanized variety of 1942. I'll do some more research on the "Owens-Illinois" mark and post what I find.

Take Care,

Randy

coldwarrior-79-92

Welcome aboard.

Terry ("Bagman")

Now that wasn't too hard. I found a website with maker's marks for a number of companies...and low and behold there it was. Here is what it said: "Diamond superimposed over an oval [letter O] and an I..............Owens-Illinois Glass Company,..."

Here's the link FYI... http://www.myinsulators.com/glass-factories/bottlemarks.html

Thanks Again,

Randy

post-74846-1329254654.jpg

Cool, nice link. I can always tell my mess kit is different from everyone else by this mark.

I thought I've seen it on other things, but I couldn't quite place it.....It must have been a glass bottle!

Thanks!

Leonardo

Now that wasn't too hard. I found a website with maker's marks for a number of companies...and low and behold there it was. Here is what it said: "Diamond superimposed over an oval [letter O] and an I..............Owens-Illinois Glass Company,..."

Here's the link FYI... http://www.myinsulators.com/glass-factories/bottlemarks.html

Thanks Again,

Randy

Randy,

You are very welcome. I'm glad I could help. Nice research link!

Regards,

Terry ("Bagman")

• 8 years later...

I have a mess kit marked E.A. Co. and dated 1944.  Cany anyone identify themanufacturer and location of the company?

Thanks!