Need Some Help on a Navy Purple Heart

Chester

Gentleman, I got this Purple Heart on my last buying trip. It was issued to Earl A. Kelly, Electricians Mate 2nd Class, USN. Looks like Regular Navy. I been trying to get some info(research) on the recipient. I have looked on all of the typical research sites, such as Ancestry, Fold 3, WW2 Memorial, American Battle Monuments etc. On those I have found nothing. I did find an Earl A. Kelley, but that last name has an extra E on the end. Not my guy. Because of the lack of info, I am starting to think that he may have been WIA, not KIA. Can anyone give me a lead / insight on on some more info? If I can get his service number, I will order his personnel file from the National Archives. Without that I am sunk. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. Chester.

Believe he is Earl Albert Kelley (with an E).

Best regards,

The Wharfmaster

In Peace and War. US Merchant Marine.

Thanks for that intel guys. As I said I had found Earl A. Kelley with an E. Are engraving mistakes common? Have other examples been noted? Please advise. Thanks. Chester.

Thanks for that intel guys. As I said I had found Earl A. Kelley with an E. Are engraving mistakes common? Have other examples been noted? Please advise. Thanks. Chester.

Where did you pick up this PH !?!

Vic

I have encountered a few medals with spelling or other errors.Like the middle initial being wrong or left out.With common names like Kelly I can see it happnening.I sent off for a discharge onece for a man with last name Henrey they sent me one for a man in the Navy(my guy was Army)same first name but the last they didnt check the spelling.The sent HENRY

Well if it is Kelley with an E, he was a Submariner on the USS Herring. Killed when the boat was sunk by shore batteries off of Matsuwa Island, Kuriles. I am still not certain. Let's see if anything else turns up, before I decide that it is him. :think:

C.

That is some funky looking engraving...

Not sure what to think of it honestly... Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but it looks too small and the font looks "off"?? Or is it the pictures? Or just me?

MW

That is some funky looking engraving...

Not sure what to think of it honestly... Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but it looks too small and the font looks "off"?? Or is it the pictures? Or just me?

MW

What Mike said!!