Blood on the Talon site

17thairborne

I just posted an update on the Blood on the Talon site listing Casualties of the 17th Airborne Division. This is for Officers who were Killed in Action (KIA) and those who Died of Wounds (DOW). I will begin with the period from 24 Dec 44 when the Division arrived in France to fight in the Ardennes Campaign and end with 15 Feb 45 when the last troops were pulled back to France to prepare for Operation VARSITY. The first post is for officer casualties and the next few over the next 4 days will provide enlisted members. later I'll add the casualties from 15 Feb to the end of the war. These are simply scans from the National Archives. Click on the link in my signature to access the blog.

I completed the posting of the KIA for the 17th Airborne Division for the period from 24 Dec 44 to 15 Feb 45. I started posting the listing of Enlisted Members Wounded in Action (WIA) during that same time period. I'll post a couple ever other day or so until I have them all available. Keep in mind these are only complete as of Jun 45 when the division consolidated the official unit history. There are most certainly several more names of WIAs that are not on the lists I am providing. I hope these help with your research.

• 1 month later...

I just posted another Combat Interview for the Chief of Staff of the 17th, Col Liebel. It covers the division's alert orders and move out from England following the German attack on 16 Dec 44. On the 13th and 15th of January I will post Part I and Part II of the interview of the 193rd GIR Commander. Just click on the link by my signature to access.

• 2 weeks later...

In an effort to continue posting data on the 17th Airborne Division, I have updated my blog with the first part of a listing of the Awards and Decorations of the members of the Division. This came from their official military history document dated 6 Dec 45 from NARA. Click on the link to my blog below.

194th Glider Infantry Regiment Awards and Decs for WW2 posted.

First part of 507th Parachute Infantry regiment Awards and Decs posted also, Part II will go up soon.

Click Blood on the Talon below

My Father was a member of B 194th GIR and was wounded after March 1945 do you have any records from then to the end of the War?

The WIA documents that I posted for the 17th AB Div on my blog are the sum total of WIA docs that I could find. Although the title lists WIA up to 10 Feb 45, I think the list was total for WW2 as the document for the history was prepared on 6 Dec 45, so I have to assume it included the VARSITY and after lists as well.

Some of the WIAs were not listed in the documents as not all of the field hospitals and general hospitals forwarded every document for PHs back to the division before the history was compiled. It would almost be necessary to get the list of WIA compiled in the 194 GIR docs at NARA.

I am assuming you did not find his name in the list I posted?

Continuing with the posts on the Awards and Decorations for the 17th Airborne Division. So far I have posted these on my blog:

507th PIR: posted

517th PIR: posted

194th GIR: posted

Special Troops: Posted

193rd GIR: Scheduled 7 Feb

DIVART: Scheduled 9 Feb

565th PFAB: Scheduled 11 Feb

466th PFAB: Scheduled 13 Feb

680th GFAB: Scheduled 15 Feb

681st GFAB: Scheduled 17 Feb