"MEDIIIIIC!!" An Onaway 76th Division Combat Medic's Group

carbinephalen

carbinephalen

Hello all!

I wanted to share with you the latest addition to the 76th Division War Room. This one belonged to a veteran in the 1st Battalion Med Detachment, 417th Infantry Regiment, 76th Division. This will make the THIRD ID'd uniform group in my room to a soldier from the 1st/417th. I think that it pretty amazing and also somewhat hard to achieve! Lady Luck has truly shined down upon me in my collecting. Being an EMT as a profession, I've been after a combat medic group for awhile.

Anyways, this came to me through the forum (BIG thanks to MAW for the heads up :thumbsup: ) and there wasn't any way I was passing it up. This was purchased from a general store/pawn shop in the veteran's hometown of Woodsfield, OH and was put up for sale there by the veteran's wife upon his passing. The only thing I have added to this is a WWII-era Bronze Star Medal ribbon as the veteran's widow stated in a phone call that she misplaced some of the pins and a ribbon. I'm positive it was this one as the holes line up. He was wounded on March 10th, 1945 in Trier, Germany and participated in the harrowing Sauer River crossing on February 7th at Echternach, Luxembourg where the 76th received it's "baptism by fire". His BSM was awarded for his actions in this crossing.

This group came with:

*His Class A 4-pocket (with rare white-striped 76th patch, Sterling Combat Medic's Badge, 3-place Wolf Brown ribbon bar, and Medical collar insignia)

*His discharge record

*His "Winter" enlistedman's shirt (with another rare white-striped 76th patch) and his slacks

*His "Summer" khaki shirt and khaki pants

*A gorgeous EM visor cap with the original waterproof cover tucked up inside of it

*The original sales receipt from the pawn shop/general store

In my recent trip to the NPRC I was able to uncover the morning report that listed him as WIA. I was ecstatic to find this! I also have the General Order listing his Bronze Star Medal Citations which I have shown below. I hope you all enjoy!

Atleast now when the rest of the "Boys" get a little rowdy they've got somebody that can take care of them, tending to their wounds...or their case of dehydration ;)

post-14217-1329109264.jpg

carbinephalen

Well I guess when we're talking patches it is probably not THAT uncommon...but for 76th items it's pretty rare. I have only seen one other in my collecting career on a uniform jacket. On ebay the white bar patch brings about $25+ or so on a good day...but normal 76th patches go for about $3-$5 so that is actually quite a bit more.

I know some of you Airborne and 29th guys would fall over dead if you found an original cut edge WWII-era 101st patch for those prices but it's a rarity to me.

:lol:

If anybody is interested in one here is a link to one for sale on ebay currently

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Variations-76th-Di...=item3371c849c3

• 7 months later...

Here is his tombstone. May Ol' Cline rest in peace. I also was able to find him listed in the 76th's Morning Reports on my latest trip to the Archives. His file was FILLED with useful information including a newspaper article he submitted to the NPRC regarding his time as a POW. Thanks again for looking!

post-14217-1349047288.jpg

• 5 years later...
carbinephalen

I thought I would give an update on this one! I was able to finally track down a photo of T/5 Cline. Also attached are some of the really great finds from his personnel file at the NPRC. Never give up the hunt folks!

post-14217-0-34691600-1509585098.jpg

Robert+W+Cline+2.jpg

cline+2.jpg

cline+4.JPG

cline+1.jpg

107_8658.JPG